Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe somebody can shed some light on this (Thunderbird themes)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe somebody can shed some light on this (Thunderbird themes)

What is the deal with Mozilla Thunderbird?! By that I mean why is it so dang UGLY?! Leaving the user to scramble for a new or compatible theme after certain updates (I cringe when I see a Thunderbird update(s) in Muon), some updates render the current add-on theme "incompatible". That in itself I don't understand, the theme or look, whatever you want to call it is not part of the internal 'gears' of the program, what in the world does the UI have to do with security or functionality? Since when do 'cute' icons threaten the security of software, lol. Even the tiniest change in the UI breaks a theme? But that is just the thing, you really can't see any diff at all between the ugly out-of-the-box versions! Ok, done ranting, anybody have any clue whatsoever why this happens?

Because it isn't a QT based application. KDE uses QT libraries and Gnome uses GTK+. Gnome built applications aren't completely compatible (visually) when installed within Kubuntu.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Because it isn't a QT based application. KDE uses QT libraries and Gnome uses GTK+. Gnome built applications aren't completely compatible (visually) when installed within Kubuntu.
      Ah, thank you very much, now I get it, oh well, will just have to keep appearance add-on shopping, lol.

Comment

Theme plugins often specify version numbers, and if the version of Thunderbird or Firefox exceeds what's in the plugin's list, the plugin disables itself. IIRC, you can install a plugin that disables the version check routine. I forget its name, but I suspect some Googling will help.
        Last edited by SteveRiley; Nov 03, 2012, 12:13 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Theme plugins often specify version numbers, and if the version of Thunderbird or Firefox exceeds what's in the plugin's list, the plugin disables itself. IIRC, you can install a plugin that disables the version check routine. I forget it's name, but I suspect some Googling will help.
          Hmm, even more interesting, thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X