This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a "debate" on Linux and hardware

This was not especially "new" news, but there is one comment toward the bottom about

"Every major OEM ships GNU/Linux PCs," asserted blogger Robert Pogson, for example. "They have to, because Wintel is on the decline."
    ..don't know.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/76526.html

woodsmoke

One issue brought up by the blogger is the misconception that it is easier to install Windows than it is to install a Linux os. Having just installed with a generic install disk of Windows XP and two Linux distros side by side, there is no question that, at least for Kubuntu and Linux Mint, the Linux distros were by far the easier. It took a couple of days to find and configure the proper drivers for Windows, before I could even log into the Web. If I hadn't had the Linux to access the net with, it could have been a real booger. Both of the Linux distros 'read' my system and installed appropriate drivers with the installation.

Comment

Originally posted by capt-zero View Post
      One issue brought up by the blogger is the misconception that it is easier to install Windows than it is to install a Linux os. Having just installed with a generic install disk of Windows XP and two Linux distros side by side, there is no question that, at least for Kubuntu and Linux Mint, the Linux distros were by far the easier. It took a couple of days to find and configure the proper drivers for Windows, before I could even log into the Web. If I hadn't had the Linux to access the net with, it could have been a real booger. Both of the Linux distros 'read' my system and installed appropriate drivers with the installation.
      And it's quicker to get to an installed system under Linux than under Windows (driver search aside). When I upgraded from Vista to 7, it took about 4 reboots until I finally could use the system, whereas only one reboot is all it takes (though with extra stuff happening on openSuSe and Mandive/Mageia beforehand) to get rto use the OS.
      The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

"Every major OEM."

Methinks Mr. Pogson's definition of every is somewhat...wrong.

Comment

"Apple" comes to mind as one without a linux offering.

Without Tablets or cellphones:
          Worldwide:Hewlett-Packard Co., 15.7 million shipped worldwide, 18 percent share
          Lenovo Group Ltd., 11.7 million, 13.4 percent
          Dell Inc., 10.1 million, 11.6 percent
          Acer Group, 8.6 million, 9.9 percent
          AsusTek Computer Inc., 5.3 million, 6 percent
          Others, 35.7 million, 41 percent
          Total: 87.1 million

United States:
          Hewlett-Packard Co., 4.6 million shipped in U.S., 28 percent share
          Dell Inc., 3.6 million, 21.7 percent
          Apple Inc., 1.7 million, 10 percent
          Toshiba Corp., 1.35 million, 8.1 percent
          Acer Group, 1.3 million, 7.8 percent.