This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CrossOver for free on Wednesday, October 31

Codeweavers will be giving CrossOver licences for FREE this wednesday.....read the news here
    http://www.codeweavers.com/support/f...2802#msg132802

Thanks!

Comment

+1 Thanks! Got it...

Please Read Me

Comment

I downloaded a copy of Crossover with this free offer. When I tried to install it onto Kubuntu 12.10, dpkg errored with dependenciy problems. I then tried to install using CLI to see what the dependencies are. Next I tried to install the missing dependencies with Synaptic. After marking the file and clicking apply, I checked the confirmation window and saw that it wanted to uninstall a bunch of stuff, including most of KDE. Of course I aborted the install. The dependency is ia32-lib, which appears to be a package of sorts because there were several files listed in the CLI, but only the one listed in Synaptic. I don't know where to go from here. It's not terribly important, because I only want to test one Windows application which may not ever work in Crossover (iffy according the Codeweavers site). But it would be great to know if something more can be done on my end. Any advice?

In case it matters, I have kernel 3.6.2 installed.

Thanks
        Linux User #454271

Comment

Are you using kubuntu 12.10 64bit? If so, did you download the 64bit crossover package? I use 32bit kubuntu and have not had an issue with the 32bit crossover package, but the dependency for ia32-lib sounds like something is 64bit.
          Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
          tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Thanks for the reply benny. Yes, I am using 64 bit Kubuntu 12.10 and this is the file downloaded from Codeweavers....ia32-crossover_11.3.1-1_amd64.deb.
            Linux User #454271

Comment

See if you have the package ia32-libs installed.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                No, the package isn't installed and If I try to install it, most of KDE desktop wants to uninstall.
                Linux User #454271

Comment

That would be the right file. Not knowing exactly what errors you are getting in Synaptic and the CLI... although searching google for "kubuntu 12.10 ia32-lib" is sounds like a lot of people have had an issue when trying to install ia32-lib. It has something to do with ia32-libs-multiarch not being available for install or something (which is a dependency for ia32-lib). Maybe someone with more knowledge of 64bit can help here.

I did find this:
                  http://www.codeweavers.com/support/t...cket_id=913568
                  Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
                  tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

I had seen that ticket thread already, but I didn't read all the way to the bottom. This time I did, even trying some of the tips, installing the dependencies as needed and using the -f argument or whatever it's called. I even tried using a wildcard for the filename (*.deb), but now I'm getting an error "E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'ia32-crossover_11.3.1-1_amd64.deb". Okay regex (I looked it up) is getting a little over my head. I'm only a hobbyist, not an IT professional. (this attempt was done from CLI.) Thanks for trying to help, but I don't think it's worth any further effort.
                    Linux User #454271

Comment

So, the solution is to run
                      sudo apt-get -f install
                      after the initial install fails.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks GG, but I tried that, too.
                        Linux User #454271

Comment

Aww, missed the opportunity... however, as I don't have any Windumb apps I would need to run, it doesn't bother me.

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          That's not an actual package anymore. The description in Synaptic says:

"This is a transitional package depending on ia32-libs-multiarch."

Thus, it's just an empty redirect which should install ia32-libs-multiarch - however, that package is conspiciously absent for x64. The 32-bit version can't be installed. There's already a bug report for that here:
                          https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1016294

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                          So, the solution is to run
                          sudo apt-get -f install
                          after the initial install fails.
                          That's just to say the installer: "Ignore any missing dependencies and install anyway." Not a smart thing to do, as the dependencies are generally there for a good reason, and forcing an install while ignoring any missing dependencies will in the very most cases not result in a working program - or, if it does launch, it will probably crash unexpectedly or expose other undesirable behaviour.
                          Kubuntu Raring Ringtail x64 w/ Kde 4.10.5

Multimedia packages for Kubuntu x64 (x264 10bit, mplayer2, Aegisub etc.)
                          http://erokawaii.org/?page_id=5181

My stuff on kde-look.org
                          http://kde-look.org/usermanager/sear...ction=contents

Comment

Originally posted by Shimapan View Post
                            That's just to say the installer: "Ignore any missing dependencies and install anyway." Not a smart thing to do, as the dependencies are generally there for a good reason, and forcing an install while ignoring any missing dependencies will in the very most cases not result in a working program - or, if it does launch, it will probably crash unexpectedly or expose other undesirable behaviour.
                            Actually, -f install is handy for cleaning up when something else causes broken dependencies. From the man page:

Code:
                                   [B]-f, --fix-broken[/B]
                                       Fix; attempt to correct a system with broken dependencies in place.
                                       This option, when used with install/remove, can omit any packages
                                       to permit APT to deduce a likely solution. If packages are
                                       specified, these have to completely correct the problem. The option
                                       is sometimes necessary when running APT for the first time; [B]APT
                                       itself does not allow broken package dependencies to exist on a
                                       system.[/B] It is possible that a system's dependency structure can be
                                       so corrupt as to require manual intervention (which usually means
                                       using dselect(1) or dpkg --remove to eliminate some of the
                                       offending packages). Use of this option together with -m may
                                       produce an error in some situations. Configuration Item:
                                       APT::Get::Fix-Broken.

Comment

Working...
                            X