This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hurricane in NY is not a new thing

The earliest hurricane was one that was very destructive and that was recorded was in 1893.

That one, BTW also killed the only endemic flock of "yellow parakeets" in the U.S. The rookery was in the bluffs around a "small bay", I don't remember the name of the bay.

Anyway, hurricanes of high category level have made it to NY many times.

Here is a link that lists the recoreded ones it has nice graphics and can be quickly viewed.

1893, 1934, 54, 60 , 85, 91, 95.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/whatifnyc/ht...rricanes.shtml

I was visiting with my boy, he has an apartment in Queens and a house on Long Island, but, about a half mile back from the shore and about 50 feet up "on the "in" side a bluff". He has lost power but is just taking it easy since the house has been there since the twenties and never was involved directly with any storm, except for rain and wind. Nobody is being evacuated from the area unless they want to be.

He said the apartment in Queens may be affected but it is about fifteen feet above the road, and stone faced. So, he doesn't know.

My other boy is a high end computer programmer who works "from his farm", and has a team in Philadelphia that he suprevises from long distance, and also goes there to face to face periodically. He said that he expects Philly to be without power and that if it does then he will switch to "West 2" region of the net and work there, although the team will probably just stay home.

Me, here in the midwest, it has been cold and frosty, a little ahead of schedule but not much.

So, anyone else directly involved or with family/friends involved?

woodsmoke

P.S. maybe we now have a clue as to why those "obviously" clueless Amerindians sold the area to a bunch of obviously smart white guys who were stupid enough to want to live in a flood plain.............. for some beads! lol
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Oct 29, 2012, 06:46 PM.

why yes in fact I just got back from NY helping out my Mom and her new fiance .
    they needed a new roof on the garage, their are 2, 1 of witch I did last year. I started right after the demo crew got finished taring off the old one about 2:00 Wednesday the 24th replacing rotten sections of 2 of the beams and pulling up the nails that got left. Thursday I re sheeted it with 3/4" plywood , Friday I scraped and primed the parapet walls on 3 sides and applied the roofing mostly. Saturday I finished it up applying the sealer to the top of the metal terminator strips at the top of the parapet walls and the lap seems

I got one of the last Amtrak trains out of NY Sunday morning at 7:05AM to Salisbury NC at 7:24PM

they live in Brooklyn 99th ST about 2 blocks north west of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge ,,,, I'm shure right now they are hoping the storm dosent ruen all my hard work

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I grew up in far upstate NY (St. Lawrence valley). I still have family there, as well as in Binghamton, and New Jersey. Woodsmoke, I think I'm an hour or so east of you on I-80, and I agree that the cold and frosty here makes it all seem awfully far away.

Comment

Gov. Christie said today that the destruction in the New Jersey area, the ocean side, etc. is "unthinkable" I hope that any Kubu users in the area are ok and that if they want to postabout their experiences that we would certainly lend an attentive ear.

Sometimes it is good to "just get things out".

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
        X