This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just test spun Debian 6.0.5 Live KDE 64-bit

Ok, thanks to Debbie and Ian, Ubuntu had something to base there OS on, which in turn is the base for this OS, but wow, and I mean wow, I was hoping by now Debian would have got their act together, it was like a step back in time, like 5 years time, sheesh.

The more I see what's out there, the more I cherish this distro, not licking butt here, been toying with a kabillion distros since oh, '04, this is as good as it gets. Don't even get me started on what's wrong with Mint, etc.

I've "attempted" to try Debian 6.x.x several times. In each, Grub *failed* to install. One of the long-standing gripes about Debian is it's installer, which many decry as a piece of carp (you rearrange the letters).
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I ran Debian Squeeze (Gnome 2.32) for the last couple of years and I can say unequivocally I never had any problems with grub failing to install. It was always rock solid and nothing ever broke. What finally drove me away from it was the proprietary Nvidia drivers just didnt seem to want to work 100% with Compiz and my video card. No fault of Debian. When Compiz was enabled I would get a checkerboard pattern on videos. Other than that I had zero problems. I guess I was feeling a bit of GUI fatigue.

And as much as I like Kubuntu 12.04 there are always seems to be some small thing wrong with it. For example, at the moment, Kopete is now crashing when I delete contacts. In all honesty I am considering going back to to Debian Squeeze. The forums are filled with lots of knowledgeable people and they are always willing to help. Not saying that they are unhelpful here, its just that the pool of knowlegeable people is larger on the Debian forums.

I still run Gnome 2.32 on my netbook (Fuduntu) and its lightening fast compared to any other OS I've run on it. And it looks decent to say the least.
      Last edited by Wallace; Nov 05, 2012, 08:29 AM.

Comment

@Wallace...For people like me that have/like exotic hardware (4 HDD Intel 'fakeraid', for starters), this distro (12.04, which is now updated to 12.04.1) has been nothing but a pleasure to install and use. There have been a few hiccups and bumps along the way but you get that with any distro. Debian 'sees' the fakeraid volume but won't mount it without a ton of headaches and won't install to it (lots of other distros do), but they managed to support EFI now and UEFI support is coming soon apparently, that is a bit of leap frogging isn't it? My next machine will have TWO 550 MB/s read and write SSDs in a Raid 0 configuration (that's 1.1GB/s read and write), rendering yet again, Debian useless. And no, I don't want to implement LVM, I shouldn't have to, you don't have to with WinDOHS! do you?

Comment

debian is a lot more of a do-it-yourself kind of OS. But I'd second the lack of problems. It's very solid.
          GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
            Don't even get me started on what's wrong with Mint, etc.
            Can I ask what you don't like about Mint. I just tried LinuxMint 14 Cinamon and quite like it. I've always been partial to Gnome until version 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallace View Post
              Can I ask what you don't like about Mint. I just tried LinuxMint 14 Cinamon and quite like it. I've always been partial to Gnome until version 3.
              Gnome was ok in its day but now, ech, pre 3.0 is too dated, don't get me wrong, Mint is a decent distro, they just have a GUI identity crisis, lol, to smartphone GUI or not to smartphone GUI, that is the question. They are tops when it comes to pre-configured multimedia and web plugins, etc, unfortunately, all that extra bloat is a fact of life these days, makes me want to learn coding and write lightweight GPL versions.

Comment

Working...
              X