This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
    Sounds like you have a 'charmed' life as I call it, me on the other hand, I tend to cocoon, had enough of the world. Doesn't stop me from being envious though. ;-)
    Well, I dunno about "charmed"... During my time working for Microsoft, I traveled between 40% and 70%, almost entirely international. Corporate policy at the time permitted purchasing business class for flights longer than six hours. Like any good corporate travel drone, I devoted myself to a single airline (United in this case) to extract as much benefit from the perks as possible. Their Mileage Plus program has an unadvertised tier called Global Services; membership is invitation-only and based on the amount of revenue you bring to the airline. So I was almost every time upgrading to first class. I tell ya, there's nothing quite so fabulous as the 14-hour ride from San Francisco to Hong Kong or Los Angeles to Auckland when you're cocooned in the pointy end of the plane. I'll admit that spoiled me!

Comment

Fourteen hours in the air, in any Class, they'd need to put me in a coma!
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Fourteen hours in the air, in any Class, they'd need to put me in a coma!
        You're actually not too far off. From the moment you sit down, alcohol in whatever form and flavor you want pretty much streams directly to your seat. You will consume veritable feast of tasty and heavy foods. While you're relieving yourself post-meal, your seat will have been converted into a bed with a thick cotton comforter and several feather pillows. Add half a Xanax to that and bam! you are in somewhat of a coma.

Comment

Tip of the thread: Up in the Air, with George Clooney. Gotta-see, excellent movie.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yup, I was that guy. Minus all the sex, though.

/me loves my wife

Comment

LOL
              Back when I was "chasing my ship" an old WWII can, around the Pacific I was on a Tiger Airlines flight for about two DAYS... and a Russian Aeroflot was pacing us, and so nobody could get off the planes! them OR us! And I was sitting next to a woman that was about 9 months and 21 days preggers...

But, the captain had me go to the cabin when we were flying over India and banked the plane for people to see from both sides that down below there were miles and miles of people who LIVED on one side of the road, and that was in 69.

He wanted me to get a "better view" so I could go back and teach about what I saw, which I do to this day when we are talking about population.

However, before all the Malthusians come out of the woodwork, there is now a new model of how populations work which is growing in currency:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic_transition

Now back to the thread!

I still have a very nice glass drinky glass with a glass embossment from America Airlines....

Coffee, tea..or....me? lol, anybody remember THAT one! lol

woodsmoke

Comment

If you want a great Airline with fantastic membership perks and just all round great experience then I have to recommend Emirates. I have to fly 26 hours from home to college every two months and then back. Their loyalty program is great and although their business class is expensive to buy, its not excessive when you upgrade with miles. Massaging seats, good whiskey and fantastic inflight entertainment make a world of difference. I usually fly the Dubai-LAX (16.5 hrs) leg in business when I can

Oh and yeah, this is probably the friendliest Linux forum around where you can get advice from the most basic to the most advanced stuff. I've yet to see a thread where people haven't at least tried to give a good response or direct you to the right place. The community here is great but the mods and a few older members make all the difference.

Comment

Working...
                X