This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad Kubuntu 12.10 is on a DVD...

At some point you have to realize the old technology (CDs) just doesn't cut it anymore, kudos. Maybe make a 'basic' CD installer for those who need it? Complete with a script for downloading and installing (post CD system installation) the same software that's on the DVD? Personally, the only thing I might use a CD for these days is a mixed music disk for a car player, etc. Ope, I stand corrected, some utilities come in the form of a CD iso, but haven't needed any of those in a while either, Kubuntu 12.04 LTS still going strong. =)

The major problem with the DVD image is that it is so big... 4.7gigs to download is allot for some. Not to mention that if you want to put the image on a usb you will probaly need an 8+gig stick... the cd image is small so quicker to download, quicker to burn (you can burn it to a dvd if you want) and fits on a 1gig usb stick so I hope that it wont go away anytime soon. Any extra packages you need can be downloaded later which overall saves on bandwidth as you don't need to download as much stuff that you don't need.

Personally I don't use cds or dvds anymore, usbsticks are much better for this type of thing

Comment

I thought that Kubuntu 12.10 was only around a 1 Gig it's not a full DVD size just too big for a CD. I installed it off my 2Gb USB stick
      Using Kubuntu 17.10 64Bit

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
        The major problem with the DVD image is that it is so big... 4.7gigs to download is allot for some. Not to mention that if you want to put the image on a usb you will probaly need an 8+gig stick... the cd image is small so quicker to download, quicker to burn (you can burn it to a dvd if you want) and fits on a 1gig usb stick so I hope that it wont go away anytime soon. Any extra packages you need can be downloaded later which overall saves on bandwidth as you don't need to download as much stuff that you don't need.

Personally I don't use cds or dvds anymore, usbsticks are much better for this type of thing
        I see what you are saying but I haven't dabbled with the whole usb stick thing (I prefer a 'hard' copy, DVD-Rs can't be wiped by mistake or accident), most people these days have the bandwidth and a DVD or even a Blu-ray burner. I used to use PCLinuxOS years ago, that is one thing I did liked about that distro, it had a scaled down basic system download/install media or you could choose the full Monty. I preferred the basic because of the extra bloat in the other version, that is part of the reason I abandoned WinDOHS!, the bloat among other things.

Edit: the bloat thing being said, I promptly installed kubuntu-low-fat-settings after I got my 12.04 fully functional (all hardware working with drivers, etc), had to turn a few things back on, it shut a little too much eye-candy off.
        Last edited by tek_heretik; Oct 19, 2012, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I think the issue is less DVD vs. CD and more about having a distro that offers the best OOTB features with as little bloat as possible. Naturally anyone can add/subtract software via their favorite package manager post install. I understand Kubuntu has finally grown past the CD size limit (current ISO for 12.10 is 953.3MB), but it isn't like Mageia (3.4GB) which comes with way too much on the installation media. I think Kubuntu has one of the best initial offering vs. download size available today (especially if you are a KDE user). I support the decision to go to DVD, but I hope they keep Kubuntu as lean as possible (i.e. doesn't let all that extra room on the DVD tempt them to add tons of unneeded stuff).
          Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
          tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Originally posted by benny_fletch View Post
            I think the issue is less DVD vs. CD and more about having a distro that offers the best OOTB features with as little bloat as possible. Naturally anyone can add/subtract software via their favorite package manager post install. I understand Kubuntu has finally grown past the CD size limit (current ISO for 12.10 is 953.3MB), but it isn't like Mageia (3.4GB) which comes with way too much on the installation media. I think Kubuntu has one of the best initial offering vs. download size available today (especially if you are a KDE user). I support the decision to go to DVD, but I hope they keep Kubuntu as lean as possible (i.e. doesn't let all that extra room on the DVD tempt them to add tons of unneeded stuff).
            Agreed...and btw, Gemini is also my computer's name, hmmph, weird.

Comment

Not necessarily weird, but interesting. Actually, both my systems are technically called Gemini (one the word, other the symbol - although san serif fonts don't do it justice). I thought it was appropriate since both systems dual boot (although I am a gemini myself, it is not the reason for the names).
              Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
              tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Originally posted by benny_fletch View Post
                Not necessarily weird, but interesting. Actually, both my systems are technically called Gemini (one the word, other the symbol - although san serif fonts don't do it justice). I thought it was appropriate since both systems dual boot (although I am a gemini myself, it is not the reason for the names).
                My daughter is a Gemini, hence the name, this system is supposed to go to her after I build a new one.

Comment

Geez, I'm so boring - my computer is just called "office"

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X