Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gave Mageia 3 (alpha 2) KDE 64-bit a live spin...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gave Mageia 3 (alpha 2) KDE 64-bit a live spin...

First impressions...kinda ugly (the system font is horrendous), KDE is the default desktop, you would think they would pretty it up a little, it's late 2012 after all. When I gave Kubuntu 12.04 its first live spin, it 'saw' my 'fakeraid', aka Intel ICH10R 4 HDD Raid 0 (then installed to it afterwards with this workaround... http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...t-to-read-this ), when I checked to see if Mageia was mounting my Raid volume, big fat no, even though Mageia said dmraid, etc, was running, weird, very weird, I thought Mandrake/Mandriva/Mageia was supposed to be so hardware friendly, etc, there are lots of distros out there that I don't need to configure device mapper, etc, to 'see' my Raid volume, why would I want the extra headache with that distro? Anyway, on top of that, I did some reading around and found the software packages are a little limited for it too, another let down on top of a repository glitch, something about it wanting to locate the install disk all the time, apparently there is an easy fix for that, remove it from the repository list post installation, the Mageia people couldn't write a work around for that? Newbies usually flock to the most popular distros on Distrowatch, Mageia is currently #2, why exactly?

Lol, distrowatch and popularity Fans of some distros like to keep DW page hits high quite often. But Mageia is a young distro. As a fork of Mandriva, this might explain some of the attention it gets as it seems to have attracted a large number of Mandriva folks.

Comment

interesting, regardless of DW, I think I've read or seen on youtube that some do claim it is the best KDE distro. I haven't tested it myself though.

Kudos for making KDE the default DE though, I think more distros should.

b.r

Jonas
      ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
      Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
      Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
      Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
      - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
      >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
        interesting, regardless of DW, I think I've read or seen on youtube that some do claim it is the best KDE distro. I haven't tested it myself though.
        How can it be the best when it is lacking in hardware support and ugly? I guess some people like to fight with a distro to get it fully working and don't mind ugly. Makes no sense to me but I was never a Mandrake/Mandriva/Mageia fan, I wonder what the next incarnation will be, one more issue I have with it, shaky foundation, long term support like you get with this distro is always nice.

Edit: As a matter of fact, this one just keeps getting better, still running the same install from April of this year, making little tweaks here and there (mostly cosmetic), I could not even imagine tearing this install down, not for a second.
        Last edited by tek_heretik; Oct 22, 2012, 07:54 AM.

Comment

K desktop ugly? You do know what an Alpha release is, don't you? Mageia 3 is not due to be released until March 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by nickstonefan View Post
            K desktop ugly? You do know what an Alpha release is, don't you? Mageia 3 is not due to be released until March 2013.
            Yes, yes and so? lol

Comment

Here is an interesting set of slides about Mageia

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/si...ageia-v1.0.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                First impressions...kinda ugly (the system font is horrendous), KDE is the default desktop, you would think they would pretty it up a little, it's late 2012 after all. When I gave Kubuntu 12.04 its first live spin, it 'saw' my 'fakeraid', aka Intel ICH10R 4 HDD Raid 0 (then installed to it afterwards with this workaround... http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...t-to-read-this ), when I checked to see if Mageia was mounting my Raid volume, big fat no, even though Mageia said dmraid, etc, was running, weird, very weird, I thought Mandrake/Mandriva/Mageia was supposed to be so hardware friendly, etc, there are lots of distros out there that I don't need to configure device mapper, etc, to 'see' my Raid volume, why would I want the extra headache with that distro? Anyway, on top of that, I did some reading around and found the software packages are a little limited for it too, another let down on top of a repository glitch, something about it wanting to locate the install disk all the time, apparently there is an easy fix for that, remove it from the repository list post installation, the Mageia people couldn't write a work around for that? Newbies usually flock to the most popular distros on Distrowatch, Mageia is currently #2, why exactly?
                Nobody does pretty KDE like ROSA. Go give it a look. Also has some great technology like KLook in it.

Comment

ROSA has an interesting desktop, which mimics my iPad 4th Gen. One can drag an icon onto another icon and create a group box, which one can rename. One can drag other desktop icons into that box. The only downside to that approach is that you need to bring the desktop up to run another app, unless you run only one app at a time. Having "Show the Desktop" setting in the panel helps.
                  Russians are excellent coders, and ROSA shows it.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                  X