Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My question was more towards posting other peoples work.
    Rob

Comment

Oh. With appropriate attribution, I'd think copy/paste would be fine. I actually hadn't considered that. As I sit here thinking about it, I'd prefer that the KB not just become a link collection. Having actual text in the post helps improve discovery via search. But ensuring that we indicate the source of the content is wholly the correct thing to do. I'll add a note about that in the forum's sticky.

Comment

An OS is only as secure as it's weakest link, the end user=
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

THAT, is the ultimate answer to the question.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
            So the real question is "how easy is it to make secure?"

Comment

Well, speaking of *buntu Linux, it's very secure as installed. To lessen the default security, the installer would have to enable the root account and log in as root.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                ...To lessen the default security, the installer would have to enable the root account and log in as root.
                There are far worst thing it could do: use insane default settings for otherwise secure applications (ie sshd), installing outdated software without installing security patches, use a known pre-set password for the root account (rather then letting the user choose).

Comment

Yes to installed with an explanation, it's only for manual scanning of files that come from Apple and WinDOHS! PCs, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                    Yes to installed with an explanation, it's only for manual scanning of files that come from Apple and WinDOHS! PCs, lol.
                    Its more useful for scanning files going to an apple/windows computer.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                      I'd prefer that the KB not just become a link collection. Having actual text in the post helps improve discovery via search. ...
                      It is often claimed that "the Internet never forgets" but it seems that many corporate web pages are removed at their whim and copyright prevents archiving of those sites. Also, people who have supported an Internet web site with lots of information for years are shutting those sites down for financial or DMCA reasons. Even if a DMCA claim is bogus most people cannot match the legal and financial muscle of corporations and get the claim revoked. Many ISPs shut down websites on the slightest hint of a DMCA violation claims.

So, I agree that in many cases, and hopefully with "fair use" as our authority, the critical information on a link be repeated here. One advantage is that we deal mainly with Open Source software and information, and thus are less likely to run afoul of aggressive corporate goons, or the BSA.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Edit:

I miss read the post.
                        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
                          This notion actually isn't completely true. Let me illustrate with an example. While many of the TSA's policies and procedures amount to little more than security theater, they've got one apsect right: randomness. The human mind is a pattern-seeking machine, and will even impute patterns into situations in which none exist because randomness is scary. By deliberately introducing randomness into a process, it's relatively easy to thwart many kinds of attacks: either the anticipation will fail, or the attack itself will fail. Randomness is the best technique for mitigating human-based weakness.

Comment

Isn't it also true that one of the reasons why Linux is so secure is because of all the different Operating systems. Saying they can only attack one distro at a time.
                            Rob

Comment

A security vulnerability in the kernel would affect all distributions using that version of the kernel, so indeed such a vulnerabilty could be devastating. Conversely, a vulnerabilty in KDE would affect all distributions using that version of KDE. The diversity of kernels, libraries, and desktop environments helps to reduce risk somewhat, but generally not by a significant degree.

Comment

Working...
                              X