X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tech Support scammers

http://arstechnica.com/features/2012...pport-scammer/

Here's some important information about Tech Support scammers that phone you up out of the blue and claim to offer to help you relieve your pc from viruses. I think it would be useful to help spread this type of scam to everyone who has a computer in the hope that they won't fall for anything like this.

They've been around for a while now; I first got called by them around 3 years ago, and have had one or two more calls since then. I wasn't very polite to them...
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

My own record is about 25 minutes. But the time you spend leading them on is less important than who you get to talk to IMO. They have an army of minions making the first call, and they know little and usually have not much English. Once they've got a fish on the line you're passed on to someone else who gets you browse to their fake Web site and type in a code to download something. They can tell from the code that you're on the hook, so I got passed to the next level, someone with real savvy. Not that savvy, because though he could tell from my responses that I'd done what he'd asked, downloaded his payload, he was slow to work out why it didn't run. When the penny dropped he was furious, and called me the American insult steadily for half a minute.

Regards, John Little
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
      X