Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just dang happy with Kubuntu and linux in general...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, before you two get in to a protracted debate: The comment I made was taken from the website that hosts the downloader extension. I assumed it was a violation of their agreement with Google they were referring to, not my agreement with anyone.

The extension is called "Youtube Options For Chrome" and if you install it from the Chrome "Store" you get a message saying you have to go to the host website to get downloading features (because of the license) and they provide a link.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
      Ive got the king of all duct tape stories.

When I was younger, my boy scout troop took a trip up to the Boundry Waters in Ontario to do a two week backpacking/canoeing trip. One of the dads rode an old motorcycle with his son and all their gear in a side car. It was a bit more weight than the back tire could handle and so about half way back, in the middle of nowhere in the Dakotoas somewhere, he had to call it quits becase the belts were showing through the rubber. So we took a couple rolls of duct tape and wrapped up the back tire as best as we could. he made it 300 miles on the tapped up tire to a city where he could get a new tire. Duct tape: amazing stuff.
      Lol brilliant! I'd love to hear (or see) duct taped hardware! Can't you ask your kids to make duct tape & corrugated fiberboard computer boxes! sell them here and earn a fortune!

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Hey, before you two get in to a protracted debate: The comment I made was taken from the website that hosts the downloader extension. I assumed it was a violation of their agreement with Google they were referring to, not my agreement with anyone.

The extension is called "Youtube Options For Chrome" and if you install it from the Chrome "Store" you get a message saying you have to go to the host website to get downloading features (because of the license) and they provide a link.
      Yes, sorry, I shouldn't have argued about it. It's such a legal grey area that it annoys me on so many levels, patents and licences it all boils down to the size of the wallet *sigh* sorry

b.r

Jonas
      ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
      Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
      Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
      Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
      - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
      >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

No need to apologize, I totally understand the emotion. I extent to which patent "law" is being abused in this country has reached the highest level of absurdity. I should have made my original post more clear.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
          I don't see how those apply to me on youtube. Clickwrap doesn't apply to youtube as there's no agreement to accept ... Browsewrap could be applied but I can't find any licence or legal text on the youtube site that deny me to download videos.
          The Wikipedia links were from me, not from Oshun... and it didn't seem from the follow-on posts that there was an argument. But to address Jonas's post...

Selections from YouTube's terms of service:
          By using or visiting the YouTube website or any YouTube products, software, data feeds, and services provided to you on, from, or through the YouTube website (collectively the "Service") you signify your agreement to these terms and conditions.

You agree not to access Content through any technology or means other than the video playback pages of the Service itself, the Embeddable Player, or other explicitly authorized means YouTube may designate.

You shall not download any Content unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content.
          So using any form of downloader is a TOS violation. But as there is no "victim" here, I say screw that crap.

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
          I have very hard to see that those would override consumer laws in here in Sweden.
          Does the Swedish version of the YouTube TOS page say the same thing as the US version?
          Last edited by SteveRiley; Oct 11, 2012, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X