This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Linux needs an operating system!"

WHat do you guys think of what Jesse Smith says about having a common OS to build distros from in today's DistroWatch Weekly? I think it could help the Linux community(ies?) greatly. (In other words, I agree with JS here.)
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Link?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Do you mean this one? (links are helpful )

In theroy I agree, but it would need allot of work by all the major distrabutions working togeather inorder to happen... We would need support from someone high up the food chain to get this type of project underway. Not that we shouldn't try

Comment

The problem is that there is no incentive to do this. Why, for instance, would Ubuntu (or any of the top distros) want to do something that would minimize their efforts and make it easier to use somebody else's distro, but with their packages? This notion, really only benefits the small or niche distros and flies counter to the notion that instead making all of these derivatives, why don't developers work on the larger projects?

If the distro somebody is using doesn't have package x, instead of being able to install it from Ubuntu or Fedora, maybe it would be better to contact the developers to include it. If enough people want it, then they probably will include it. If not, then you can choose to compile it yourself, or if it is important enough switch to a different distro.

One of the examples given in the article is about incompatibility between Ubuntu based Mint and Debian based Mint. It was a decision by the Mint team to have two different bases and asking all of the distros to share a common base to fix the compatibility problems they introduced into their own distro is crazy.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Comment

I think it's unfortunate that their isn't more cohesion among the distros. I have often thought that if we had a single core (kernel, drivers, file structure, etc.) that everyone used we'd have less hardware compatibility issues and such while still maintaining variety i.e. a multitude of DE's and programs. Problem is not everyone wants the same things (RPM vs. DEB for example) so who decides? No one because it free. All of us are free to develop in any manner we see fit and unless someone is paying me to do otherwise, I will continue to do as I see fit.

I have solved this problem (in my world only ) by using Ubuntu-based distros only.

All my computers run; Ubuntu, Ubuntu-server, Kubuntu, Bodhi, Plasma Active, Xbuntu, Mythbuntu, BackTrack, etc...

Please Read Me

Comment

I think that the better plea would be for "the big ones" to get together to collaborate on getting drivers done right for the "latest" video cards and the "latest" printers. And somehow getting the "flash" thing done right.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
              Do you mean this one? (links are helpful )
              Yes, that's the one. I just read the article and I wanted to quickly start the thread here. Sorry about that.
              The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Working...
              X