X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome OS for netfilx

Hi
    This can probably be a very short thread.

I'm in a situation to watch Netflix.

I spent many, many hours installing IE through Play On Linux and Wine etc. installing every possible thing under the sun that I thought might be a "helper" to get Kubu to where I could view Netflix.

The main choke point is installing Silverlight, apparently, and, I was able to get it to install. It even presents an icon in menu.

But, no go.

So the question now is, ....

One can use Windows or "a Chromebook".

a) is there some "particular thing" that is "in" an actual physical chromebook install that one does not get in trying to run Silverlight in Ubu Wine?
    b) is the "Chromebook OS" that is available something that will actually run Netfix?
    c) If the ChromebookOS will run Netfilx, is there any way to get an .iso that one can install? The installation seems to be from source or if it is an "Ubuntu" install, it seems to be on a usb stick only as VM.

I can remember actually installing something that I "thought" was the ChromeOS, maybe three years ago, but didn't like "being on the cloud"...

so any comments?

woodsmoke

I never had netflix ,,,I thought it worked with any browser like youtube or something ?

glad I didn’t spend any money on it

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi
      I assumed that it "should" work with any browser, but, it would seem, on the surface of it, that ...

When one looks on the net that the forum commentary is to the effect that there is something about Silverlight and DRM that are working in a synergestic manner.

That is all speculation on my part of course, it is just from scanning threads.

I, personally, think, that somehow "Linux" will be kept at arms length for as long as possible because of the DRM.

Netflix sells for about seven bucks a month. That is really cheap considering the huge number of material on it.

And, I would imagine that the only way that Soney et. al, would only allow the thing to exist if there was no way, as far as they are concerned, that the horrid Linux people might be able to download the media.

Just some thoughts, I don't know.

That is why I asked if it was possibly a situation of the ChromeOS laptop being preloaded with some kind of synergestic setup and that Google could then control the system through updates to eliminate DRM worries for Sony et. al.

And it might be that Sony et. al give a kickback to GoobleChrome...... there are lots of things that we never know about.

woodsmoke

Comment

ChromeOS builds:

http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

Comment

Hi SR
          I just plain forgot to mention that I looked at that site.

That was what I vaguely mentioned about being "complicated". What I would rather do is just install it to an hd, as opposed to running it on a usb.

And the reason for that is the many comments on the various fora about running a "virtual machine" and it not working.

It is just "possible" that maybe something run in a "virtual machine" and maybe a usb installation is what might be the problem with trying to stream netflix.

It occured to me that there might possibly be something about the particular code for Silverlight that is provided on a ChromeOS laptop that says "don't work if it is in a virtual machine( possibly usb)." to TRY to prevent the horrid Linux people from infringing on DRM.

When I got some time I was going to try an install to an hd as opposed to a usb, but, since I'm not all that familiar with pathnames, etc. it would probably take a while.

Thanks though, and again, I'm sorry that I was unclear about my previous attempts.

woodsmoke

Comment

These instructions for installing to a hard drive might work. Reports on the 'tubes seem hitt or miss, though.

http://www.kirsle.net/blog/kirsle/in...romium-os-lime

Comment

Did you try the "Lime" version? Although it hasn't been built since July, it supposedly has better hardware support. And the install-to-HD function might be more reliable, too. It's worth a shot, at least.

http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/lime.php

Comment

My recommendation is to run an x86 Android VM within Virtualbox. Android can stream Netflix with an app. Its also super easy to get android going and Vbox is a pleasure to work with and you won't have to boot out of your beloved Linux to watch great content. You can use Vbox's full screen mode or integrated mode if you don't like borders etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer
                  My recommendation is to run an x86 Android VM within Vritualbox.
                  That is one fantabulous idea!

Comment

great ideas folks! thanks!

Could it be that with you smart guys posting on my doof thread, that you may have solved the "great Netflix in Linux" delimma?

If so, then maybe we oughta retitle the thread! lol

woodsmoke

Comment

I'm pretty sure its not an original idea. I think I read it somewhere on the openSUSE forums or on the Arch Wiki - can't remember which one exactly but I suspect its Arch. Kubuntu = great distro and great community but its useful to stalk some other forums where the users tend to be power users.

Comment

I subscribe to Amazon Instant Video, they use flash.

I hope they all move to HTML5 though...

When online music stores first started, who thought that they would ever sell DRM-free music

Hopefully the same will happen with video
                        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

hi jpenguin.

Thanks very much for the mention of Amazon video.

I just happen to, now, have access to Netflix and was considering getting it permanantly, so the Amazon thing is a nice option.

woodsmoke

Comment

Amazon is really great but it ends up costing a lot more than Netflix.

Comment

And yet, Netflix streams from Amazon S3.

Comment

Working...
                              X