This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am about to do a disappearing act.

My wife and I are moving. Maintaining the house is getting to be too much work, much of which is now beyond my physical capabilities. We've watched some of our elderly neighbors hang on to their house will it collapsed around their head. We don't want to do that. Besides, my wife doesn't want me mowing the lawn, walking on the roof, cleaning the gutters, shoveling snow, or doing plumbing or electrical repairs any more, not that I'm complaining! And, our 3br+2ba home is becoming too much work for us to maintain. We will be without an internet connection for a week or two while we pack up and move to a place twenty miles from here, but less than a mile from our two children and their families. Having us watch the grand kids will be a lot easier when we are within walking distance from them.

I have an Earthlink 15Mb connection without download caps. It piggybacks on the RR cable and RR handles the billing for Earthlink. I suspected that all I had to do was take my cable modem with me and inform RR of my new location and have them change their server connections accordingly. Earthlink support agreed, except that I have to call Voice support with my new address so that my Earthlink email account will continue to work. (I never use my Earthlink email. I redirect it to gmail and all that comes through it is spam anyway, which Google flushes.)

So, sometime in the next week or two I will disappear for a week or two.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 01, 2012, 08:22 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

So the 'GreyGeek' will become the 'GreyGhost' for a wee bit.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I happen to believe that most of America should downsize without provocation or reason or impetus or cause or income-status.
      :-)
      San Fran -- very interesting, the 150-250 sq ft apt developments there (and elsewhere for that matter, perhaps Japan)--micro's.
      But I hear ya, GG. Especially if you have a sloped roof (vs flat). Me, too, small 3 br, 1 3/4 older home, and for now I view all my personal time-and-labor maintainance as 'opportunity to exercise, lift, stretch, bend, and such.' But the day will come ...
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Good luck with the move! I'd offer to help, but there's that 1500 mile drive and all...

Please Read Me

Comment

I hope things go well

Woodsmoke

Comment

Best of luck with your move. It sounds like a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              Besides, my wife doesn't want me mowing the lawn, walking on the roof, cleaning the gutters, shoveling snow, or doing plumbing or electrical repairs
              Ah, stay where you are. But when you start mowing your roof, walking on the gutters, shoveling your lawn, and rewiring your plumbing -- that's when you should bail.

Comment

Sounds like a good plan, heres hoping for a uneventful move.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  Ah, stay where you are. But when you start mowing your roof, walking on the gutters, shoveling your lawn, and rewiring your plumbing -- that's when you should bail.
                  That's the problem NOW! But, fortunately, I haven't left the keys to the car in the refridgerator ... yet...
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

That's the problem NOW! But, fortunately, I haven't left the keys to the car in the refridgerator ... yet...
                    Shoot, I do that all the time!

I have about 10 pairs of reading glasses all over the place because I can never remember where I put htem last!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                      I happen to believe that most of America should downsize without provocation or reason or impetus or cause or income-status.
                      :-)
                      San Fran -- very interesting, the 150-250 sq ft apt developments there (and elsewhere for that matter, perhaps Japan)--micro's.
                      But I hear ya, GG. Especially if you have a sloped roof (vs flat). Me, too, small 3 br, 1 3/4 older home, and for now I view all my personal time-and-labor maintainance as 'opportunity to exercise, lift, stretch, bend, and such.' But the day will come ...
                      Small houses and apts have come to America, too!
                      http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/products/bodega/

Click image for larger version

Name:	01_bodega_1024x1024.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	640120

Comment

Well, remember, asphalt shingles don't like to be mowed lower than three inches.

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                        I have about 10 pairs of reading glasses all over the place because I can never remember where I put htem last!
                        Uh, when's the last time you checked the top of your head?

Comment

The funny part is when you try and put the second pair up there!

Please Read Me

Comment

Good luck with your move to San Fran.
                            The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

I have left the remote for the tv there a couple of times !!

Best of luck, GreyGeek
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X