X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Mind reader" shows what's really behind the curtain

The black ski masks are especially effective

Entertaining, scary, and TRUE! What goes online is forever!
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

So true... that's why I don't use this Failbook and other and other retarded nonsense.
      Kubuntu Raring Ringtail x64 w/ Kde 4.10.5

Multimedia packages for Kubuntu x64 (x264 10bit, mplayer2, Aegisub etc.)
      http://erokawaii.org/?page_id=5181

My stuff on kde-look.org
      http://kde-look.org/usermanager/sear...ction=contents

Comment

Interesting. Making the decision to opt-out of this stuff is not rocket surgery, and the vid is a convincer. We are all sharing enough through old-fashioned email and forum posts.
        (btw, on same menu, the Korean chicks in the gangam clips are pretty hot, I'd say, although I was really just watching the dancing)
        Last edited by Qqmike; Oct 01, 2012, 04:38 PM.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

That's a really good warning! I understand the language and I it's really pretty impressive. I think (hope) they'll put this on television too. We've warning here in The Netherlands too, but they are very dull, old-fashioned, spots, not impressive at all.
          (I don't use Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, ... And believe it or not: I'm still alive!!! I think.)

Comment

I do no social media either (unless you count KFN). I connect to IRC (off and on) and here on KFN. That, and I use email and browse the 'Net. That's all.

I'm not paranoid, and I don't have anything to hide, but the incredible amount of personal information that exists 'on line' that can be obtained free, paid for, or stolen, is absolutely mind blowing. The fear (and rightfully so) is the potential for abuse, not by criminal activities, but by Government and Government Bureaucrats.

Comment

Heh... I worry more about what private corporations might do with personal information. To the government, I'm a citizen. To private corporations, I'm a product. Those seem like important differentiators.

Comment

Yes, but as a 'product' to Corporations, the Government is (sadly) "in bed" with Corporations. In the battle between Corporate wants, and Citizen rights, who do you think wins, and who looses, much of the time?

Comment

In my idealized world, the government is an equalizing force, helping to balance the power between corporations and citizens. My ideal world is, of course, FantasyLand.

Comment

Steve and Snowhog, both of you are right. We are learning the meaning of what a "cabal" is.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Some things ebb and flow; we can hope this societal phenomenon will too, achieving a balance.

Or, as I've seen on various PBS specials interviewing megatrends experts (corporate gurus, professors, Warren Buffet, et al), perhaps the younger generation (less materialistic, more idealistic, et ectera) will turn things around (if they ever get out on their own and move away from mommy and daddy ...).

Somehow, this stuff starts in the family. Then education plays into it. MBA programs, breeding greedy s-o-b's seeking obscene "1%-tier" bonuses at the expense of their $10-an-hour service workers on the front line. And CBS execs hiring a cheerleader to head national CBS nightly news (as Walter C. rolls in his grave), all to gain ratings. I got no problem with the 1% wanting to own a yacht (I spelled that right, right?). But before they buy TWO, let's drop a couple bucks an hour down to the people on the front line of coroporate service jobs.

At some point, a balance will probably be achieved where " ... [SR:] the government is an equalizing force, helping to balance the power between corporations and citizens." Or else we will cease (by virtue of violent revolution, the bottom thinking, What the h* do we have to lose? Storm the f'n castle!).

I do hope I'm on topic ;-)
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

That video should be played to everyone using the web. It is also up to every one of us to educate those who see the web as nothing more than a "toy" about its dangers.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                          I do hope I'm on topic ;-)
                          This is KFN. Everything is on topic!

Comment

Originally posted by nickstonefan View Post
                            That video should be played to everyone using the web. It is also up to every one of us to educate those who see the web as nothing more than a "toy" about its dangers.
                            Exactly, nickstonefan... I emailed the YouTube link to everyone on my list, along with a short note explaining the various vulnerabilities.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                            X