Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A major flaw in Unity Interface on television t.v.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A major flaw in Unity Interface on television t.v.

Admins, I quite realize that it might have been more appropriate to place this in my other thread about Unity efficiency but this is something that the Unity devs should think about.

As stated elsewhere, I installed Unity on my Toshiba Laptop.

Today I hooked the lappy to my Zenith 52 inch diagonal t.v.

The interfaceworks ok, in terms of being an interface on the television.

The "airmouse" and the wireless, matching, keyboard works ok ....BUT.....

And this is a really BIG problem.

This is a year old Zenith lcd that is pre-designed to accept an RGB input.

But... the Unity upper panel only shows about 2/3 of the panel, the lower 2/3 of the panel.

In other words the upper 1/3 is cut off.

This is NOT FIXABLE from the menu system (setup) of the television itself - in the display function.

The whole screen is about one-half inch move UP on the display.

That is an artifact of feeding the signal from the laptop to the television

The really BIG problem is that one cannot change, using the stock Unity install, the up/down size of the upper panel.

If one was able to change the up/down size of the panel then a greater portion of the icons that one has to use would be available for the "airmouse".

The airmouse works fine but it is "somewhat" jittery.

This jitterieness makes it "somewhat" hard to interact with the upper panel icons.

However, the other icons, which are much larger, and gaudy, work fine.

So, how many people will be turned off by not being able to change the upper panel, I don't know, but, ....dunno....

I think I would AT LEAST..... provide maybe a "normal" and a "double thickness" or something for the television users.

any comments by other people that have fiddled with Unity on a television would probaby be of interest to people.

woodsmoke

Have you reported it as a bug?

Comment

Generally, the people at Ubu proper don't like my posts, so no, but since it has been a coupla years, I was thinking about so doing.

woodsmoke

Comment

It won't do you any good if you post to Ubuntu forum. Instead, file a bug against Unity directly in Launchpad.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          file a bug against Unity directly in Launchpad.
          ok
          woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
          X