This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    It's more than ideological. The EMCA 334 & 335, or Microsoft's "Promise" letter, do NOT include patented ADO, WINFORM (IIRC) and other components which De Icaza continued to include in Mono, even though he claimed, twice, that he was removing them. All he really did was "separate" the patented parts into another directory. So, anyone who installs Mono and then, assuming that 334 & 335 & the "Letter" give them the right to use ALL of the components that are packaged inside Mono, will be wrong, and subject to patent violation lawsuits if they release code using those components.
    Main reason I didn't mention any of the issues specific to developers is that Oshunluvr asked about the impact to end users. If you're not writing & releasing code (which is the case for the majority of end users), then the decision of whether or not to allow Mono to be installed on your system does purely come down to ideology / personal preference.

If you are a developer however, then it behoves you to do due diligence before releasing your code, and not just assume all will be well. It's annoying that these IP minefields exist at all, and I eagerly look forward to the final death rattle of Mono.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
      If you're not writing & releasing code (which is the case for the majority of end users), then the decision of whether or not to allow Mono to be installed on your system does purely come down to ideology / personal preference.
      You're absolutely right.

From an ideological POV, James Plamondon wrote, in one of his "Technical Evangelist" training documents that:
      "Microsoft's API on every desktop is a WIN for Microsoft!" -- James Plamondon

If you use Microsoft's API to write Linux desktop applications, or run applications written by them, then what is the point of Linux?

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I didn't intend to start "war" but I think I see both points clearly. The more I think about it the more I realize that by avoiding mono/.net/silverlight products I am helping hasten the demise of the beast. Maybe a well worded comment to the developer of such products will swing a few of them over to our way of thinking.

Please Read Me

Comment

Still wating for Vessel. Im starting to get a little angry about this. Its one of the games I bought it for and its been what, 3 months now??

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
            Still wating for Vessel. Im starting to get a little angry about this. Its one of the games I bought it for and its been what, 3 months now??
            You might want to read this. Seems like you can ask to be a tester for it.

Comment

Vessel is here! I know what Im doing Sunday

Comment

I've tried the Vessel Linux port but it's just too slow. Like everything is in slow motion. It's a known bug. So I will continue playing the Windows version with Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by sealbhach View Post
                  I've tried the Vessel Linux port but it's just too slow. Like everything is in slow motion. It's a known bug. So I will continue playing the Windows version with Wine.

How does it lay in Wine? Any issues?

Comment

It works just fine with Wine, no issues at all, so far.

Comment

Good to know. Im having some trouble with screen resolution in the Linux version and it does seem kind of slow...

Comment

Working...
                      X