This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The aquarium "moss ball"

The "Exo-Terra Moss Ball" is just an amazing invention.

It is not a real "Marimo" but is a construction which looks like it.

Here is a relatively long discussion about the synthetic moss ball and it's benefits at Yahoo Answers.

To put it quite simply; the thing does a great job of removing "odors" and "detritus" in the aquarium.

Now, I, normally, LIKE to have "stuff" in the aquarium because it is "mostly" algae, and that is a good thing. But due to the size of my present tank, and that it is a true "half moon" it tends to have too much build up of undesirable stuff in it which has to be regularly removed.

I was told that fish will eat the algae that may accumulate on it but have not observed that.

I would like to try the real thing, and if I can find a local supplier I will do so and report back.

And, in the interests of fairness, other companies are now producing similar devices.

NOTE:

I would be greatly interested in reading reports of other users of this product or those of people using the REAL Marimo.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Sep 22, 2012, 03:04 PM.

The embeded resin provides beneifts only a couple of months. After that, the algae growing in the fibers will remove excess nitrates, but so would any live plant. Only fish that eat filament algae will probably eat the algae from it (cherry barbs come to mind).

If the goal is to keep the algae and minimize nitrates/nitrites, I have much better luck with one of those small UV sterilizers that go in tank. Makes the water crystal clear and bulb only needs replace once a year.

I have one in a 55gal turtle tank. Turtles are much dirtier than fish, even gold fish. If it weren't for the fact that the tanks is only 2/3 full so you see the miniscus from the water, you wouldn't be able to tell there is water in the tank. It is that clear.

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
      I have much better luck with one of those small UV sterilizers

tanks is only 2/3 full so you see the miniscus from the water
      Hi VW
      Thanks very much for the reply.

I had NEVER HEARD of a UV sterilizer for a tank, thank you very much I will research that.

And, I have NEVER seen the use of the term "meniscus" used outside a science classroom!

And, it is a very good use!

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
      X