Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the highest "Bacon Number" you can find? A new google search feature!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the highest "Bacon Number" you can find? A new google search feature!

This isn't totally new news, but nobody else has mentioned it yet...

Google added a new feature to it's search engine: The Bacon Number!

For the unfamiliar, the Bacon Number is a play on the "Six Degrees of Separation" concept. It's the number of actor-connections between any given actor and Kevin Bacon. The premise is; no actor is higher than a 6.

I believe the story is; three college students were drinking (shocker) and watching movies. They watched a movie with Kevin Bacon in it that was going to be followed by another Kevin Bacon movie and in between the movies they say a commercial advertising another Kevin Bacon movie! This begat the question "has Kevin Bacon worked with every actor?" The rest is well, history.

The game works like this: Hugh Downs (the star of Leave it to Beaver) and Paul Dooley appeared in "When the World Breaks."Paul Dooley and Kevin Bacon appeared in "Telling Lies in America." Thus, Hugh Downs Bacon number is 2.

I brought this up at work the other day and an hour later the highest anyone could find was 3. Can you beat that?

Totally silly and a waste of time, but harmless - unless your boss finds out!

Caveat: It basically uses IMDB to calculate the number. If you put in Mary Pickford you get a 2, but she "appeared" in the connecting movie as archival footage, not in person. I don't think that should count. However, I don't care enough to take the time to manually figure it out!

Please Read Me

Update: Ok I did care enough.

Mary Pickford and Reginald Denny appeared in "Kiki" (1939)
    Reginald Denny and Adam West appeared in "Batman" (1966)
    Adam West and Denise Richards appeared in "Drop Dead Gorgeous."
    Denise Richards and Kevin Bacon appeared in "Wild Things."

Mary Pickford's real number is 4.

Please Read Me

Comment

And to think that I, poor old woodsmoker, have been accused of wasting time! lol

But, no seriously, or not seriously, this is a funny thing and the basic idea is funny.

lol

woodlaughingsmoke

Comment

Working...
      X