This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu 12.04.1 -- Huh?!

Of course, I'm a Kubuntu user/devote/advocate, but that said, I decided to install Ubuntu 12.04.1 because my father is going to be using it, and I (some times) get called upon to provide 'tech support'.

I first installed it as a VM in VirtualBox. Okay, except for the fact that the panel buttons showing time/date, network connection, user session, logout, et al, was missing! Okay, I'll install it on my other partitions, which I did. Finished and was told to remove the LiveCD and reboot, which I did. First, I was never asked where Grub was to be installed. Second, upon reboot, and expecting to be presented with the Ubuntu Grub menu, instead, I saw my familiar Kubuntu Grub menu!! It appears, that even though Ubuntu was installed to the specified partitions, Grub2 was not!!! WTF!? >

There is a reason I like Kubuntu.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

grub may have been installed to the install partition instead of the MBR ......was their no drop down box at the partitioning phase for Grub like in the Kubuntu installer?

Hmm I know I remember it in the Ubuntu-12.04 installer .........(ya right vinny remembers something)

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I don't remember being asked, or being shown to select, where Grub was to be installed. I could have missed it of course. What could have happened, is that Ubuntu recognized that I had another installed OS, and therefore, installed Grub to the install (root) partition, where in fact, it was. The assumption is that Ubuntu 'expected' that the other OS would control access to itself from there. That is of course, just a guess.

There are quirks with Ubuntu 12.04.1, at least here on my installation. The main quirk is that you can add, by click and drag, apps to the panels (top or bottom), but you can't remove them once there!! According to the 'manual' for using Ubuntu 12.04 in Classic Desktop mode, you are supposed to press/hold the Alt key and right-click your mouse when it's on the Panel to bring up Panel options. No such thing happens here. Nada. Zilch. Squat. >

There is a reason why I use Kubuntu (the Friendly Linux) and not Ubuntu (We aren't Burger King - you can't have it your way!)
      Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 17, 2012, 05:56 PM.

Comment

What gets me is that sometimes on the Ubuntu forums, youll find a tutorial or post explaining how to do something extremely basic, like add widgets to the desktop or move a panel. In Kubuntu, most things are pretty easy and can be done in maybe 3 or 4 steps. In Ubuntu, its like a 25 step weekend project that involves downloading multiple programs, some as tar balls, compiling them, editing system files, clicking in places where you wouldnt have dreamed of clicking, and probably a lot of cursing. I love Kubuntu!

Comment

Yep. I did figure one thing out concerning this, and that's that installing gnome-session-fallback isn't what you do in 12.04, as that does 'the best it can' to bring in the Gnome 2 desktop, which 12.04 isn't configured to use. If one wants the Gnome Classic desktop in 12.04, you install gnome-shell instead.

I've done that, but I still don't have the Alt+right-click capability on the panels, so I can't do anything with them. And so, applications added to the panels with click+drag+drop can't then be removed. >

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Yep. I did figure one thing out concerning this, and that's that installing gnome-session-fallback isn't what you do in 12.04, as that does 'the best it can' to bring in the Gnome 2 desktop, which 12.04 isn't configured to use. If one wants the Gnome Classic desktop in 12.04, you install gnome-shell instead.

I've done that, but I still don't have the Alt+right-click capability on the panels, so I can't do anything with them. And so, applications added to the panels with click+drag+drop can't then be removed. >
            Just did a quick google....try Super+Alt+Right Click.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
              Just did a quick google....try Super+Alt+Right Click.
              Where did you come across that?

Comment

Several places. Theres a bug filed in launchpad with that solution, plus a dozen or so posts on Ubuntu forums. Seems to be a common issue. Di you give it a try?

Comment

Not yet; I'm back in Kubuntu. But I will give a try later.

Thanks!

Added: That works! Holy Cr#p!! I'm so pleased, and I can let my father know in case he is so afflicted as well (likely). So, for me, it's the Windows Key+left Alt+right click of the mouse. This brings of the panel menu, and if performed on a panel app, the menu to manage that app, including removal.

Way cool. :cool:
                  Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 17, 2012, 07:48 PM.

Comment

I actually did install gnome-session-fallback or ubuntu-fallback or something like that to get the classic gnome as a login option ....I have a post about it hear somewhere??

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      Not yet; I'm back in Kubuntu. But I will give a try later.

Thanks!

Added: That works! Holy Cr#p!! I'm so pleased, and I can let my father know in case he is so afflicted as well (likely). So, for me, it's the Windows Key+left Alt+right click of the mouse. This brings of the panel menu, and if performed on a panel app, the menu to manage that app, including removal.

Way cool. :cool:
                      Excellent!

Comment

Working...
                      X