Clear All

Guess the OS

Not a distro, btw.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1347823680292.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	647858

A wonderful, amazing, and ultimately a completely useless operating system.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Haiku OS... the U with the feather gave it away.
    Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
    tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Why useless? Just curious -- I've heard of it but don't know anything about it.

Comment

I actually got it to install some time ago, but could not get wireless working and printer setup was very "manual".

And, also I just didn't like the interface very much.

But, I'll give props to anybody that is trying to do something.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
          I say that as a fan - I came this close to jumping to BeOS as my break from windows. Haiku has been a careful, faithful recreation of this OS.

Luckily, there is some wireless decent support in the nightly builds, with WPA, if you have Intel and maybe Atheros cards, but as an OS it simply is not going anywhere or doing anything new. It is stuck in 2001. Even most of the software is from that era - though a new web browser, Web Positive, is rather good.

Comment

Haiku is very cool.

But I don't know how much you can actually get done in it ... browsing the web, probably mail.

I'll switch to Haiku when there are too many viruses floating around on Linux!
            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

HiakuOS is pretty neat, but theres not much for it as of now; and I absulutly hate the desktop theme.

BTW-- Anyone remenber this?

BTW2-- Can you name this OS?

Last edited by jpenguin; Sep 24, 2012, 12:50 PM.
              Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
                It is useless in that it is a direct clone of BeOS, a desktop OS from 12 years ago. It can't do a heck of a lot as there is not a lot of the more complex desktop applications, even an office suite, however there is an aging Koffice port available. And wifi support in the daily builds only supports a limited set of chips. It is cool but these days nowhere near as nimble or rock stable as BeOS was in comparison to win98 back in the day. The Haiku community's refusal to perhaps innovate and/or improve on things will keep this a labor of love.

Comment

@jpenguin

I don't know about the first, but the second looks like ReactOS. No, I don't use it, but I've seen what it looks like from its Wikipedia page.)
                  The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

and lets not forget menuet, syllable, aros, and all AltOS's past and present

Comment

Yep the second is ReactOS; I've never used it either, but I've done some basic lookin on a VB install.

The first is an OS that dissipated after the creator tried to go commercial; it was called SkyOS
                      Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Working...
                      X