This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feedback request on sales website ioffer.com

Hello, I have been looking for a TV mini series to buy which I found was available from a seller on ioffer,com. I have never come across this site before and would like to know if (in general) sales (sellers) from this site are genuine and can be trusted.

Also, the DVD claims to be "region free". Are systems like Gstreamer and Mplayer "region free"? I have never noticed setting up a particular region when installing video players under Linux.

Thanks in advance for any information you give.

Dave

They've been around since 2002. See http://www.ioffer.com/info/press for some offsite press about them.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Also, the DVD claims to be "region free". Are systems like Gstreamer and Mplayer "region free"? I have never noticed setting up a particular region when installing video players under Linux.
      Gstreamer and MPlayer, etc., are entirely unaware of region restrictions, as that is dealt with at a lower level, by the libdvdcss2 library... which totally ignores region restrictions.

There are 2 ways I'm familiar with that a DVD disk can be region-free:
      1) The disk doesn't use CSS (content scrambling system) encryption.
      2) The disk uses CSS, but has flags set for every region.

However, many (most?) DVD drives' firmware enforces DVD region settings. Region-free drives are available though, as are replacement region-free firmwares for some region-restricted models.
      Last edited by HalationEffect; Sep 14, 2012, 05:55 PM.
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
      X