Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

64 Raspberry Pi boards + Lego bricks = low cost cluster!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64 Raspberry Pi boards + Lego bricks = low cost cluster!

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-pi-and-legos/

Inspired by the low-cost computing power of the Raspberry Pi, a team at the University of Southampton has used the ARM-based Linux computer-on-a-board as a building block for a low-cost supercomputer—racked and stacked using Lego blocks. And they’ve published a step-by-step guide for anyone interested in creating their own Raspberry Pi high-performance computing “bramble."
    the team used 64 Raspberry Pi computers, each equipped with a 16-gigabyte SD card to construct a functioning computing cluster for under £2,500 (a bit over $4,000)—not including the Ethernet swtiches used to connect the nodes.
    The software for “Iridis-Pi”—named after Southampton’s Iridis supercomputer—uses a free implementation of the Message Passing Interface and code written in Python to distribute parallel computing tasks. The first test run on the cluster: calculating the value of Pi.
    Step-by-step guide to make your own:

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/ra...outhampton.htm

Sure, it isn't a practical HPC cluster; it's intended for educational purposes... but I think it's pretty inspirational stuff.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

That is cool! I loved the picture of all the powerstrips.

Someone should introduce those folks to the concept of top-of-lego-stack power supplies

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Someone should introduce those folks to the concept of top-of-lego-stack power supplies
      Heh, after seeing their current power supply "solution", I think they definitely need something better...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	640096
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
      X