This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    The green is cool. I found an icon collection on KDE-Look a while back that replaces the stock blue Oxygen icons with green ones. Neat. I also change my window decoration shadows to green.
    You can also color your chosen icon set to pretty much any color you want in the advanced icon settings in System Settings

Comment

Hah! I never noticed that before.

Comment

Ok so there is a version of Quassel that uses mono and another that doesn't. So openSUSE seemingly just chose the mono version.

I tried the new Fedora 18 installer and I have to say it looks quite good although I dislike how there was a feature regression. Fedora should not aim to be a "desktop" os. It's for development and testing. It really isn't a good beginner distro so why target it at newbies.

Comment

Code:
          zypper se -s quassel
          Loading repository data...
          Reading installed packages...

S | Name                     | Type    | Version   | Arch   | Repository            
          --+--------------------------+---------+-----------+--------+-----------------------
            | quassel-base             | package | 0.8.0-4.4 | x86_64 | openSUSE-factory-Oss  
            | quassel-base             | package | 0.8.0-4.4 | i586   | openSUSE-factory-Oss  
            | quassel-client           | package | 0.8.0-4.4 | x86_64 | openSUSE-factory-Oss  
            | quassel-client           | package | 0.8.0-4.4 | i586   | openSUSE-factory-Oss  
            | quassel-client-debuginfo | package | 0.8.0-4.4 | x86_64 | openSUSE-factory-Debug
            | quassel-client-debuginfo | package | 0.8.0-4.4 | i586   | openSUSE-factory-Debug
            | quassel-core             | package | 0.8.0-4.4 | x86_64 | openSUSE-factory-Oss  
            | quassel-core             | package | 0.8.0-4.4 | i586   | openSUSE-factory-Oss  
            | quassel-core-debuginfo   | package | 0.8.0-4.4 | x86_64 | openSUSE-factory-Debug
            | quassel-core-debuginfo   | package | 0.8.0-4.4 | i586   | openSUSE-factory-Debug
            | quassel-debugsource      | package | 0.8.0-4.4 | x86_64 | openSUSE-factory-Debug
            | quassel-debugsource      | package | 0.8.0-4.4 | i586   | openSUSE-factory-Debug
            | quassel-mono             | package | 0.8.0-4.4 | x86_64 | openSUSE-factory-Oss  
            | quassel-mono             | package | 0.8.0-4.4 | i586   | openSUSE-factory-Oss  
            | quassel-mono-debuginfo   | package | 0.8.0-4.4 | x86_64 | openSUSE-factory-Debug
            | quassel-mono-debuginfo   | package | 0.8.0-4.4 | i586   | openSUSE-factory-Debug
          Also, 'mono' version does not depend on mono:
          https://build.opensuse.org/package/b...enSUSE_Factory
          sigpic

Comment

I purchased 22 box sets of SuSE but moved to Mandrake when Novell bought it.

I've had a lot of experience with the RPM paradigm. When I tried LibraNet the deb manager was outstanding, but the guy who was developing it died, so I moved to several RPM distros, all of which exhibited RPM frailities. Then I tried Kubuntu 9.04.
            I doubt I will ever return to an RPM based distro again.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Oh ok, my assumption of it mentioning mono meaning mono was used was poor. Learn something new everyday.

I've never fallen into RPM hell fortunately but I have seen a few people fall into it. The upsides to RPM though is delta upgrades which is a godsend for slow connections and really good multi-arch support. I tried to write a .spec file for my python program and I soon found the whole experience painful even though openSUSE has great documentation. The same .deb was a breeze to make and I'm guareteed it will work on all debian/ubuntu distros thanks to a great video guide I found which I couldn't get for openSUSE.

Still when it comes to a newbie KDE distro with a great community and a debian/ubuntu heritage the Kubuntu is always my recommended distro. Also Kubuntu makes the best portable OS I have ever used whereas everything else is just too bare or too bloated or lacks good persistence.

Comment

Working...
              X