This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
    Flying Spaghetti Monster... all hail his noodly appendages!
    I can get away with that only when I'm in San Francisco. Elsewhere, well...

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      I can get away with that only when I'm in San Francisco. Elsewhere, well...
      Whoooooosh! (That's the sound of that comment flying right over my head)

Pretty much all I know about San Francisco is that it's a coastal city in California, the Golden Gate bridge is there, and the city was pretty much destroyed by a big earthquake (and resultant fires) just over 100 years ago. Oh, and the gay rights movement was/is big there.
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
        (That's the sound of that comment flying right over my head)
        LOL!

Besides trying to moderate any potential tension here, my comment actually touches on a number of tidbits.

Although I live in Seattle, I work for a high-performance computer networking company headquartered in San Francisco. It indeed has a looser feel than home, largely because the city caters to folks who swing away from the mainstream.

I travel a lot in my job, frequently to SFO, for various meetings or events, and will mention my whereabouts here on KFN when the topic warrants. For instance, right now I'm in Chicago for Cloud Connect. On Monday I was one of the three instructors in the cloud performance workshop; tomorrow (Thursday) I'm delivering an overview presentation about network virtualization.

Comment

Hmm... so, if I'm understanding correctly, mentioning the FSM would be acceptable in San Francisco's looser (I'm reading that as "more laid back") culture, but not so acceptable elsewhere in the US?
          sigpic
          "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
          -- Douglas Adams

Comment

To those outside the tech industry, any mention of FSM will likely be met with blank stares. To those in the tech industry, mention of FSM will result in at least a wink and a nod, if not an extensive discourse complete with visual aids of the locations and effects of each loving noodly touch. And since the tech industry congregates in and around San Francisco, well, there you go. A ready-made church.

Wow. This thread has gotten really weird!

Comment

Ka-clink! (that's the sound of the penny finally dropping for me)

Weird? As my very rusty command of German might say: "Fremdes, dein name ist wirklichkeit". (Strangeness/weirdness, thy name is reality)

HalationEffect, derailing tense political threads with weird random nonsense since 1969!
              Last edited by HalationEffect; Sep 12, 2012, 08:56 PM.
              sigpic
              -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                They have not degenerated into the sort of nasty polarized yelling and knee-jerk-ism I find on facebook and Google+, or anywhere there are comments allowed it seems.
                Your absolutely right, claydoh and i have been following this threat with great interest! That sentiment goes for this forum as whole i must say. The problem as i see it, is that you have a two political party system that really tend to polarize the people. I live in Australia now, but was born and raised in Holland. ( 6 meters below sea level, Teunis! ). I cannot remember the last time that a political party there could form a majority government in its own right. It is forced to form a coalition government with at least one other party and all the compromises that go with it, or loose the majority vote in Parliament. And there are plenty of parties to choose from, the last time i counted there where 20 of them. To me it seems, that this form of government truly reflects the will of the majority of the people. And it really becomes a case of "keeping the bastards honest", as is the unofficial credo here in Australia of a political party that has a hope in hell of forming a government, but could still supply votes in parliament to whoever it likes.
                Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth, keep it up, i have been looking forward to new posts every morning before i start work!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GerardV View Post
                  here in Australia
                  You guys sure have an interesting way of ejecting a sitting Prime Minister before the completion of his term -- probably as close as one could get to a bloodless coup! But at least you've been able to keep that goofy Tony Abott from grabbing the top spot.

Comment

Well, dunno, I was just commenting on their ability to understand the movie.

Maybe I should have said "relate to" the movie,

And I did not say that somebody should have served in the military, but, I think that most people would agree that someone who has been an academic all his life as opposed to someone who had at least "had friends in high places, for many decades" that were military types, might...notice I said might, not "would" not be able to appreciate the movie.

How that got turned into discussions of liberalism, communism, the tea party, the republicans or the great spaghetti monster in the sky bears little resemblence to comments on a movie, thus the term "projection"...

That people are projecting their belief systems on a rather neutral set of sentences....about "understanding" a movie.

dunno...

woodsmoke

Comment

Well, politics has a way of inserting itself into anything I guess. But I've been enjoying this conversation/debate as well.
                      The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post

woodsmoke
                        Then, in MHO, you could have used a non-judgemental title for this thread!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          You guys sure have an interesting way of ejecting a sitting Prime Minister before the completion of his term -- probably as close as one could get to a bloodless coup! But at least you've been able to keep that goofy Tony Abott from grabbing the top spot.
                          Pretty normal for parliamentary democracies, not at all unusual for countries in the Commonwealth - New Zealand, Australia, Canada, England itself.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                            A movie that in no way represented the realities of war or what actually happened with the Memphis Belle.

Comment

There's a little boy on Happy Street who puts his hands in front of his face and believes he is invisible to other people. Can't recall where that fable comes from, but I'm sure every day care center worker knows.

I'm glad it's over on this thread, no more time to spend on it. I've got to get back to fixing a problem I have setting up my new 12.04. Look for me if you think you can help, would appreciate it if you can, some thread, maybe like "Complex KDE USB peripheral issue, Romney would have no clue, Obama might ..."
                              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                                Look for me if you think you can help, would appreciate it if you can, some thread, maybe like "Complex KDE USB peripheral issue, Romney would have no clue, Obama might ..."
                                I just laughed a little bit of conference center coffee out my nose there, thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X