This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Okay, just installed most things from the guide you made earlier in the year. No problems so far. One weird thing though....something brought konqueror back in.

Install: ... kipi-plugins:amd64 (2.5.0-1ubuntu2) ...konqueror:amd64 (4.8.5-0ubuntu0.1, automatic) ...
    Possibly...
    Code:
    steve@t520:~$ [B]aptitude why konqueror[/B]
    i   kipi-plugins Recommends konqueror

Comment

So since doing this, my boot time has tripled. On my old install, I had a boot of around 10 sec. Now its between 20 and 30. After GRUB, I get a blank screen for around 10 sec and then the splash screen. Any ideas?

Comment

Seems odd. Install Bootchart and post the output here. Let's have a looksie.

Comment

Starting a new thread on the boot time issue.
          http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...881#post310881
          Last edited by whatthefunk; Oct 05, 2012, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            Hm... didn't see anything obvious. So let's compare something. Open KRunner and enter
            Code:
            kcmshell4 language
            Leave that window open. Go to a console and type
            Code:
            lsof | awk '/kcmshell4/ {print $9}'
            Paste the output here. I'll compare it with my standard Kubuntu install, and perhaps we can find out what additional files are present, figure out which packages are necessary, and then install them.

There might be a more elegant way to figure this out, but it doesn't occur to me at the moment.
            This all works, but this is not the menu needed to install additional system languages. Usually, in System Settings > Locale, there are 3 tabs on the left side, the last one being for Languages. Im missing this one and so cant install additional language support.

EDIT: I can add basic language support, but there is no way to pin an input method to a language. I have ibus and my specific input mehtod installed like I had before, but there is no way to configure KDE to use ibus to switch languages.
            Last edited by whatthefunk; Oct 05, 2012, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Mine has only two pages on the left side:

Languages is a tab on the first page. This is a standard Kubuntu install, not a custom KDE. And I'm really not sure what package provides that long list of languages I have. I have no iBus stuff installed at all; I've purged it.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                This all works, but this is not the menu needed to install additional system languages. Usually, in System Settings > Locale, there are 3 tabs on the left side, the last one being for Languages. Im missing this one and so cant install additional language support.

EDIT: I can add basic language support, but there is no way to pin an input method to a language. I have ibus and my specific input mehtod installed like I had before, but there is no way to configure KDE to use ibus to switch languages.
                IBus isn't configured from within Kde Systemsettings. For IBus, you need to install the packages "ibus" and "ibus-qt". Don't install "ibus-gtk" or "ibus-gtk3", it's only for Gnome and interferes with the Kde version.
                Then you'll need to install your input methods, e.g. "ibus-anthy" for Japanese input, or "ibus-pinyin" for Chinese input.

After that, you'll need to log out and log in (or restart) to have the IBus icon appear in your system tray. Right click on it and select "Settings" to configure it. On the second tab ("Input methods"), you'll need to add your languages. Click on the "Select input method" drop-down, which will make your installed input methods appear. Pick one and click on "Add" to add it. Proceed likewise with your other input methods.
                Use the "Up" and "Down" buttons to set the most used input method at the top. This one will get activated when you turn on IBus. You can customise the keyboard shortcuts on the first tab. By default, it's "Ctrl+Space" to turn on/off IBus, and "Alt+left Shift" to switch to the next input method.

Note: Always use the keyboard shortcuts to turn on/off IBus and switch. I found that using the IBus system tray icon for that doesn't always work reliably, but using the keyboard shortcuts works every time.

ibusを使って、日本語を書くことができる 
                Kubuntu Raring Ringtail x64 w/ Kde 4.10.5

Multimedia packages for Kubuntu x64 (x264 10bit, mplayer2, Aegisub etc.)
                http://erokawaii.org/?page_id=5181

My stuff on kde-look.org
                http://kde-look.org/usermanager/sear...ction=contents

Comment

Yes, but you need to tell Kubuntu to use ibus. Here is the Locale menu from Kubuntu:

Notice the additional System Languages tab and the inuput method selection menu on the bottom right.

Now heres straight up KDE 4.9.2:

There is no way to select the input method and so without doing it in the terminal, no amount of ibus configuration will do a bit of good.

Comment

Check to see that you have the packages language-selector-common and language-selector-kde installed.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      Check to see that you have the packages language-selector-common and language-selector-kde installed.
                      language-selector-kde is the program that brings up the list of available languages, but does not give the option to select the input method. im thinking that the System Language options are specific Kubuntu options...

Comment

Snowhog's hint led me to investigate. My T520, which was freshly rebuilt from Kubuntu Quantal beta 1, has language-selector-common but not language-selector-kde. Curiously, it appears that language-selector-kde is no longer part of Kubuntu -- nothing depends on it, and it isn't listed in the Kubuntu desktop task:
                        Code:
                        steve@t520:~$ [B]apt-cache rdepends language-selector-kde[/B]
                        language-selector-kde
                        Reverse Depends:
                        steve@t520:~$ [B]tasksel --task-packages kubuntu-desktop |grep language[/B]
                        steve@t520:~$
                        So I manually installed the package. Now I have the third item, however it isn't working:

Running it from the command prompt reveals a few clues:
                        Code:
                        steve@t520:~$ [B]kcmshell4 language-selector[/B]
                        Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
                        kcmshell(5488)/python (plugin): Failed to import module 
                        Traceback (most recent call last):
                          File "/usr/share/kde4/apps/language-selector/language-selector.py", line 4, in <module>
                            from LanguageSelector.qt.QtLanguageSelector import QtLanguageSelector
                        ImportError: No module named LanguageSelector.qt.QtLanguageSelector
                        kcmshell(5488)/python (plugin): Failed to import module 
                        kcmshell(5488)/kcontrol KCModuleLoader::loadModule: This module has no valid entry symbol at all. The reason could be that it's still using K_EXPORT_COMPONENT_FACTORY with a custom X-KDE-FactoryName which is not supported anymore
                        Googling for "No module named LanguageSelector.qt.QtLanguageSelector" reveals why:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1013626

If this change is in fact affecting the ability to configure IBus correctly, perhaps it's worth filing a new bug.

Comment

Ah! After logging out and in again the third menu item came up and is working on my system. Weird that normal KDE doesnt come with this....

Comment

So you aren't encountering the error that I'm seeing and is also documented in LP bug 1013626? That's curious.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                              So you aren't encountering the error that I'm seeing and is also documented in LP bug 1013626? That's curious.
                              Nope. Mine works perfectly after logging again again. Curious indeed.

Comment

Well, this experiment is over. Over the last week, Ive reinstalled about a dozen times but every time ends the same way: the desktop freezes on boot due to a missing library. I tried over and over to install the missing libraries but then another one went missing so Ive just given up. Installing only kde-plasma-desktop seems to lead to numorous dependency issues which the system can not resolve. The number one problem is that libraries that the system needs are added to the autoremove list and insist on being removed. So Ive gone back to Kubuntu. Im going to play around with this a bit more to try to figure out what exactly is going on, but in a VM.

Comment

Working...
                                X