• Show
Clear All

Quantal customization easy

Customization in that one can change:

a) the user image, as in on the top of the menu
    b) the background for the login screen
    c) the user image for the login screen

very easily.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get my user image to show in lightdm.
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Hi
      It is not as intuitive as it might seem at first blush.

If we assume that your setup is the same as mine, When one is in system settings/Login Screen (Light DM) one probably sees, in the theme tab that one is in the "User Bar".

I first assumed that placing an avatar in the background image would somehow maybe place it in the little box, but no it is a background image.

So I went to "classic" and there is a "welcome image" button in which to place an image, and when the button is clicked one sees "load from file" or "clear image" and one can navigate to the image and it does display correctly, mine is the avatar that one sees in my posts here at the forum.

Background image works the same way, but you really do need a very LARGE image to get it to display without jaggies if you have something like people in it, mine is a surf image with a surfer underneath a curl. The first couple I tried were normal for a wide screen monitor but didn't look right so I chose one that is really huge and it appears very crisp in presentation.

One does not get the "user bar" presentation in login, one gets the classic display but does have the avator and background that is desired.

The background image will also appear with the "user bar" choice, but no avatar it is the plain one.

I would assume that if someone wanted to inform us what the particular name of the image in the user bar theme is and where it is, that one could rename the image at that location to say..."image 01" and then rename the avatar to "image" and place it in the folder and it would then display in the user bar, but I don't know.

That is how it used to work in stock Ubu and other distros, one had to change the image physically.

Also....I "assume" that one could change the words "Welcome to" to something else like "HEY DUDE! WHAT's HAPPNIN'! or something, but I have not changed it..

So, I hope this helps a little and if I can help with anything else I'll be glad to try.

woodsmoke

Comment

That stinks. I was trying to get the avatar working with the user bar. I'll see if I can track down the location of the image file this weekend.
        Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Just ran across some info where one of the devs says to make sure and have a picture 128x128 or bigger named ".face" in your ./home directory. KDE seems to create this file as ".face.icon" after setting the user avatar in systemsettings. I renamed mine to .face and the image was used in the userbar theme. Yah! I have to find a bigger image because my favorite user image is too small since I shrank it for forum use. It is 120x82, and is pretty grainy.
          Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Hi 67.
            Good on!
            I'm glad you found it!
            Hand figured out how to make it work!
            My cable internet and everything is out due to a storm but I'll give it a whirl when I'm back online!
            Woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
            X