X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ESR hits it out of the park, again!

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=4555

So, after my post on ground-truth documents, one of my commenters argued eloquentlythat I ought to clean it up and submit it to a journal read by people who manage programming projects. He suggested Software Practice and Experience.

This seemed like a pretty good idea, until I read SP&E’s submission procedures and was reminded that (like most journals) they want me to assign the copyright of my submission to the publisher ...

It's worth finishing the read!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Eric's advice to retain copyright ownership is good. During negotiations with the publisher who produced my Windows security book, I insisted on joint copyright. Glad I did, too -- that allowed me to continue reusing the ideas in presentations and articles.

Speaking of writing... Hackin9 magazine wanted me to write for them -- for free! No way. Creating high quality articles takes time, time for which I expect to be compensated.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Speaking of writing... Hackin9 magazine wanted me to write for them -- for free! No way. Creating high quality articles takes time, time for which I expect to be compensated.
      Exactly, especially if they are collecting the ad revenues.

Even quality responses to questions on this forum take time (for me, anyway).
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

You did the right thing, SR. Writers should be paid. Even at that, starting out, a writer sometimes is lucky to get just 10, 20, or 30 cents/word. Playing your cards right, one can become a full-time, professional writer. But never for free (unless for a special charity cause or something like that). On the private side, writng business documents can bring big bucks--resumes, ads, brochures, etc. ... $50-$200/hour; or $250-$1000/page. As I'm sure you know ...
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

yup.

woodsmoke

Comment

I don't mean to criticize your decision, but creating high quality posts on KFN, as you do, takes time, too. (Or maybe you're a natural, and they take no time at all...)

Regards, John Little
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              I don't mean to criticize your decision, but creating high quality posts on KFN, as you do, takes time, too. (Or maybe you're a natural, and they take no time at all...)
              Why, thank you, sir.

You're right, several of my posts here have taken some time to compose. I've learned so much from KFN, and my hope is that my contributions serve to help others learn. It's much like why people write free software: for love of the work. There's also a rather practical matter: KFN doesn't assume ownership of my, or anyone else's, posts.

Writing for a publication, though, is different. Ownership is assigned to the publication. I am willing to trade ownership and time for cold hard cash. I'm not willing to trade ownership and time for nothing in return.

Comment

Along the same vein as this topic, one of my favorite scifi writers had this to say about the future of making money as a writer of fiction.
                http://sfwriter.com/blog/?p=2413

Comment

Why, thank you, sir.

and my hope is that my contributions serve to help others learn.
                  They certainly do!!
                  sigpic

Comment

<blush>

Comment

I, personally, think that it would be a good idea to keep Stevo Rileyo around the place for the forseeable future! lol

woodsmoke

Comment

Oh, I'm not going anywhere.

Er, well, actually I am -- to Copenhagen, for the Ubuntu Developer Summit during 29 Oct to 1 Nov. Can't wait!

Comment

Working...
                        X