X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fedora 16 with KDE 4.8 killed my laptop

Actually not really.

Last Friday I updated Fedora 16 and then shut it down for the rest of the day. The following day I booted up the laptop and it started bleeping at me and displaying a message that there was no bootable media available. Having tried all kinds of things to try and get the hard disk to be recognised I finally came to the conclusion that the hard disk finally died.

I bought this laptop 2 years ago as second hand and had come with Windows Vista. When I brought it home and switched it on everything appeared to be working fine, then later started to get very hot. Turned off the laptop let it cool down. When switched it back on it reported that there was no bootable media available. Tried several times to get it working, and was about to send it back to the place I bought it from when it did boot up and from that moment I decided replace Windows Vista and install Linux thinking that the problem em was either a virus or corrupt hardware drivers. Installed Ubuntu 9.10 then later 10.04 and a few distributions since ending with Fedora and never had a problem with the hard disk until last weekend when it finally gave up the ghost.

I have today ordered a new hard disk which should arrive within a week. In the meantime I am using a liveUSB disk that has Lubuntu 11.10 installed on it to boot the laptop. I still have another mini tower pc available with Ubuntu with XFCE (more commonly called Xubuntu) as well.

Moral of the story, avoid Fedora. No seriously, always make backups and never expect hardware to last forever.

I guess that's what bleeding edge can get ya.

Fedora isn't all that bad. The only niggles I've had is the GUI freezing while using ANY drivers for Nvidia cards, and the round-about way to add extra repos (expecially RPMFusion).
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Working...
    X