This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grace Hopper on Letterman

The woman who gave COBOL to the world, and rose to the rank of Rear Admiral. No wonder some called her "Amazing Grace".

I learned COBOL a year or two before she passed away, and even though I never had occasion to use it much after I'd learned it - it was already close to obsolete even then - I still remember IEDP... or the slightly tongue-in-cheek version: i.e. DP.

For those unfamiliar with COBOL, a program written in that language is divided into four 'divisions': Information, Environment, Data, Procedure; hence IEDP. Then some bright spark realised it could be expressed as "i.e. DP" (that is Data Processing). I didn't even need to look any of that up... it's funny what sticks in one's memory even after a couple of decades.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Thanks for that video, Steve. She was an amazing woman, and had a real sense of humor!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

A wonderful woman indeed.

I fed ROPEVAL info to the Eniac that was at the Naval Undersea Center, through keypunch operators of course, and she was discussed many times, with very admiring tones.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Thanks for that video, Steve. She was an amazing woman, and had a real sense of humor!
          "How did you know so much about computers?"

"I didn't. It was the first one."

ROFL

Comment

Apparently she coined the term "bug". Although it was actually a moth.
            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Just a comment:

"people working ON them".

That is actually a mis-statement. People worked IN them.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
              X