Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

seperate out a document converter from LO?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seperate out a document converter from LO?

No clue about how to do it, but I perused Muon to see if there is a standalone "document convertor" that one could use to convert an .odt into a .doc or .docx such as what LO does.

If such a thing either exists, and I don't know how to find it, or if it could somehow be separated out of LO as a stand alone with a GUI, that would allow the diehard Linux user who doesn't even want LO on the drive to be able to provide a .doc or .docx for work or something.

Any comments?

woodsmoke

I know nothing about it, but you can take a look at DocVert.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I found this. Its not a standalone app but a web app.

http://www.freefileconvert.com/

Comment

Woodsmoke:

that would allow the diehard Linux user who doesn't even want LO on the drive to be able to provide a .doc or .docx for work or something.
        Sorry, but who would that be?

There are alternatives in Linux to LO. The newest version of TextMaker for Linux is now out. It will produce docx files. It is also available for Android.

Not sure how much Calligra will deal with docx, but it is another alternative to LO.

So, why would anyone who is a Linux user hate LO?

Frank.
        Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
          So, why would anyone who is a Linux user hate LO?
          Its not a question of hating LO but not every Linux user has the resources to run LO on their machines sufficiently. LO is quite a large application (or suite of applications). Some Linux users like using lighter alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by nickstonefan View Post
            Some Linux users like using lighter alternatives.
            "Using the least to do the most."
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

nickstonefan:

Its not a question of hating LO but not every Linux user has the resources to run LO on their machines sufficiently.
              I run Kubuntu 12.04 on my 4 year old Asus Eeepc901 with 4 GB system SSD -- and I successfully run and use LO. That old Eeepc is is pretty low spec.

I just wonder how many people fall into the category that Woodsmoke is considering, that's all.

Frank.
              Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Hi guys.

Thanks for the replies, but as to the "hating" LO, what I wrote was "diehard Linux user who doesn't even want LO on the drive".

The persons to whom I was referring are those who have any kind of problem with anything that is remotely connected with anything not absolutely unencumbered by any kind of connection to non-free etc.

I ran across a forum with people like that years ago, they were slowly, patiently, removing ANYthing that was not "free" in whatever way one wants to use the term from Untuntu.

I dld the distro and was commenting on what was working, etc, but they very bluntly commented that they didn't need my commentary, because they were not worried about "woodsmoke" using it, they were just removing stuff to get to the minimal package that worked for them and that they would then decide what to do with it.

It is possible that they were the people who produced, years later the two completely "free" distros, forgot the names.

But as to the stuff povided by you fine folks.

I think I'll just give those a try to see if I can get by with nothing but Calligra to make stuff for school.

As a comment, I wonder just how much desire there would be for the Docvert app and how hard it would be to produce a GUI for it?

But again, thanks for the comments.

woodsmoke
                Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 26, 2012, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X