Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Can you guys give me some suggestions?

My hard drive failed on my Samsung laptop. It was one month out of warranty but the Samsung people had me send it into them for repairs. They are going to fix it or replace it for free. So I got that going for me. In the mean time I am using this little Acer Aspire One Netbook that I have. I had put windows home premium on it. It sucks on netbooks IMHO. I have already tried Jolicloud and I don't want to use it. I also do not want to use Unity, gnome shell or Kubuntu netbook edition.Just want to try something different. Is there anything else interesting I can use until I get my laptop back? What about Android on this netbook?

You might Try Bodhi Linux. It uses the Enlightenment desktop so it's rather different. I use it on my HP Mini 110 and it works well.

http://www.bodhilinux.com/

Please Read Me

Comment

I may give that a shot but In my impatience I installed Android Ice Cream Sandwich. Everything went well and I am dual booting it. Only problem I have is my wpa2 wireless encryption contains a character that is not on my keyboard. It is something similar to an upside down L. I have no way to copy and paste and the android install does not work off of ethernet. I also as far as I can tell do not have access to the windows drive. Will have to look again. I might can change my wireless encryption key but I didn't want to do that.

Comment

Ha it is a little L in windows. How ignorant. I will post back on my experiences with Android on this netbook later.

Comment

In my opinion it's not very good. It really is dependent on touch screens. Not very usable. Not to mention Google wants to be all in your business and all the apps require a user agreement. It makes win7 on this netbook feel great. The install was easy. The wifi worked. Not really a problem with bugs or hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by pauly View Post
            I also do not want to use ... Kubuntu netbook edition.
            You can change the netbook version into the full version by changing the option in System settings > Workspace behaviour > Workspace >> "Work space type" from "Netbook" to "Desktop".

You could also try plasma-active, but I think it might also suffer from the problems android does in that it is designed for tablets, you could give it a shot though.

There is also Chrome and Firefox OS

Comment

There is also Peppermint OS that is taylor-made for such installs. Also, Slitaz Linux is good I hear, and Damn Small Linux just had a major release. Options....options...
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Crunchbang. Its minimal and doesnt have a proper DE, but I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                  You can change the netbook version into the full version by changing the option in System settings > Workspace behaviour > Workspace >> "Work space type" from "Netbook" to "Desktop".

You could also try plasma-active, but I think it might also suffer from the problems android does in that it is designed for tablets, you could give it a shot though.

There is also Chrome and Firefox OS
                  I use it all the time on my laptop and when I get my laptop back I will continue to use it. It's the best. I just didn't care for the netbook edition all that much and I was looking for something tailored for netbooks.

I have used Jolicloud before on the netbook but I am not all that interested in the cloud stuff. That includes Chrome OS. I used Meego before and I really like that for the netbook, problem with that is it all fell apart when nokia pulled out. I know another group picked it back up but it isn't ready right now.

I might give Firefox OS a look.

Comment

Originally posted by pauly View Post
                    I use it all the time on my laptop and when I get my laptop back I will continue to use it. It's the best. I just didn't care for the netbook edition all that much and I was looking for something tailored for netbooks.
                    The thing I love most about kde is you can tailor it yourself to fit a netbook (or anything else) This is basically what I did on my netbook, made it look like a cross between the kde netbook edition and unity with my windows auto maximising and border-less when maximised, the close applications button and application menu bar merged in with the panel at the top and the task manager and app launchers at the side like in unity. With a little playing around you can basically make kde look and do what you want it to.

If you don't manager to find anything else that suits your needs I suggest taking another stab at kde. But that said this is a great opportunity for you to test all the other distros out there that you want and see if you like any of them more or less.

Comment

Might try Cinnamon.

Very small, very tight, very fast.

woodsmoke

Comment

I would go for Bodhi it's a really fun distro or why not Slackware?

Comment

You guys would laugh at what I settled on after trying several different things. Unity is great on this netbook. I wouldn't use it on my regular pc but it makes great use of the small screen on this netbook. Anyway I'm getting my laptop back on Tuesday with a new hard drive and they are telling me that the file system is different and I won't be able to restore my system image. I wonder if they were trying to restore my old disk to the new one and didn't realize I had converted that disk from gpt to mbr and also that I had Kubuntu installed. I am going to try anyway and if it doesn't work it doesn't matter cause I have a windows 7 installation disk anyway.

Comment

Working...
                          X