Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd. Likely it's my router doing the extra work.

I noticed in my nmap output that hosts that were named in my hosts file (fixed ip's) showed up with hostname but no domainname. In other words the HP is "Mini110.home" but my server is just "server"

I might try this with my wife's laptop and see how it works. I wonder how it will handle dual (or duel!) controls.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      I futzed around a while and got it to see my own screen, for all the good that does. BUT, I also got it to work with my wife's netbook, but ONLY the keyboard and mouse. If I can't see her screen I can't see where I am pointing or what I am typing. IOW, only the keyboard and mouse work.
      Maybe you are missing what Synergy is for -- accessing and controlling another (up to four) PCs that are 'on your desktop -- i.e., physically on your Desk/Workbench/Table -- that you can actually see with your eyeballs.

Synergy isn't for accessing/controlling a "remote" PC.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Maybe you are missing what Synergy is for -- accessing and controlling another (up to four) PCs that are 'on your desktop -- i.e., physically on your Desk/Workbench/Table -- that you can actually see with your eyeballs.

Synergy isn't for accessing/controlling a "remote" PC.
        mmm... that I was! My "assumption" was that multiple monitors works very well, so Synergy must be for controlling PCs connected to the LAN but at other locations than the desktop. Were that the case then the only advantage over krdc was that a request didn't have to be emailed to someone.

So, if that is all it is used for then "all is well in the garden", because as long as my wife's Acer was on my desk and I could watch Synergy worked well, and my control over her mouse and keyboard was very fast, too.

Thanks for clearing that confusion of mine up. 8) (And I take back all those critical comments I made.)
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Remember, that what Synergy does, is allow you to use one PC's keyboard and mouse to control other PC's, but that's it. You have to be able to physically 'see' the other PC's monitors. Synergy is a 'software' keyboard and mouse 'switch'.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            ... Synergy is a 'software' keyboard and mouse 'switch'.
            And it that it works very well! My apologies to the Synergy developers!(But, they still could use a "write once, compile anywhere" dev tool like Qt and give Linux users the same interface they give Windows users.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Really cool, it begs for abuse

Comment

I just installed this on my desktop and my wife's laptop. Piece of cake and works great! Now, let the shenanigans begin!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  And it that it works very well! My apologies to the Synergy developers!(But, they still could use a "write once, compile anywhere" dev tool like Qt and give Linux users the same interface they give Windows users.
                  For me, here, it is great. I have both of my laptops on my table. My 'main' laptop -- the HP -- has the mouse attached to it. The Toshiba has no mouse. With Synergy, I can just 'mouse over' to the Toshiba, and continue using the HP to work on it. Simply great.

Comment

Working...
                  X