X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

πfs: The filesystem of the future!

Too good not to share...

What is πfs?
    πfs is a revolutionary new file system that, instead of wasting space storing your data on your hard drive, stores your data in π! You’ll never run out of space again – π holds every file that could possibly exist, so why put your files anywhere else?! They said 100% compression was impossible? You’re looking at it!

What does π have to do with my data?
    π (or pi) is one of the most important constants in mathematics and has a variety of interesting properties (which you can read about at wikipedia)

One of the properties that π is conjectured to have is that it is normal, which is to say that its digits are all distributed evenly, with the implication that it is a disjunctive sequence, meaning that all possible finite sequences of digits will be present somewhere in it. If we consider π in base 16 (hexadecimal) , it is trivial to see that if this conjecture is true, then all possible finite files must exist within π. The first record of this observation dates back to 2001.

From here, it is a small leap to see that if π contains all possible files, why are we wasting exabytes of space storing those files, when we could just look them up in π!

Every file that could possible exist?
    That’s right! Every file you’ve ever created, or anyone else has created or will create! Copyright infringement? It’s just a few digits of π! They were always there!
    Resources

Hmm, I guess pi also counts as prior art for every patent ever
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Is the kernel going to include support for this by the time Quantal is out?
      I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Ah, now I can find Hires photos of the Faces on Mars and prove once and for all that intelligent life existed on Mars. Then I am going to search for intelligent life on Earth.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Ah, now I can find Hires photos of the Faces on Mars and prove once and for all that intelligent life existed on Mars. Then I am going to search for intelligent life on Earth.
          While you're doing that, I'm going to use pi to re-discover the Lost Chord. I bet I find it before you find intelligent life on earth
          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Obligatory Monty Python quote:

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
            How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
            And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
            'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.
            sigpic
            "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
            -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
              I bet I find it before you find intelligent life on earth
              Isn't "intelligent life" and "on earth" an oxymoron?
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                Isn't "intelligent life" and "on earth" an oxymoron?
                the answer is in and I'll take Apple Cinnamon alã mode ...........

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                  the answer is in and I'll take Apple Cinnamon alã mode ...........

VINNY
                  With rum sauce!

You'll be happy (?) to know, that the string (as a sequence of numbers -- see below) 'applecinnamonalamode' does not appear within the first 200,000,000 digits of pi!

Substituting each letter for it's numeric position within the alphabet, and for letters higher than '9', adding the digits (eg: m=13=4).
                  Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 21, 2012, 08:55 PM.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    With rum sauce!

You'll be happy (?) to know, that the string (as a sequence of numbers -- see below) 'applecinnamonalamode' does not appear within the first 200,000,000 digits of pi!

Substituting each letter for it's numeric position within the alphabet, and for letters higher than '9', adding the digits (eg: m=13=4).
                    well,,,,,,,,,,,,,thats good to know as I like to dig deep into my ℼ

☺VINNY☺
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I'm confused. Is this the thread where your data gets baked into an apple pie? piefs. We need it.

Presumably it gets retrieved as a fortune cookie?

Comment

Well,
                        I'll expose my Linux iggernance here; but when I tried to compile it I encountered a for-next loop error in skelton three line fourteen.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                          I'm confused. Is this the thread where your data gets baked into an apple pie?
                          Yes, but first you must invent the universe.

Comment

Ah, a trivial matter.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

UFS (Universe From Scratch) is a great learning project, but to be practical we should just modify the existing one.

Who's got a link to the source code for the universe?
                              Last edited by SecretCode; Aug 22, 2012, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X