Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet, or new Galaxy Note 5.5" phone?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet, or new Galaxy Note 5.5" phone?

Looks like specs for the upcoming 10.1" Samsung Galaxy Note tablet are pretty much a redo of what is coming for the Galaxy Note 5.5" phone.

1280 x 800 resolution: check
    quad core 1.4 GHz processor: check
    16 or 32 GB microSD storage: check
    Android 4.1 Jelly Bean: check
    Samsung S-Pen input: check
    8+ hrs battery life: oops

So, why would one take a tablet over a similarly powered phone? Weak eyes?

I'll be watching the local online 'buy and sell' for a used 5.5" Note later this year. My current 5.3" dual core 1.5 GHz Note is an excellent phone, and no way is it too big to serve as a phone. Sound quality is better than any smartphone I've had so far (and I've had 3 - all Motorola), and the screen is gorgeous, if washed out a bit in bright sunlight.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

So, why would one take a tablet over a similarly powered phone?
    For the same reason somebody buys an iPad instead of doing the same thing on an iPhone. While both may have the same specs, the different form factor makes one preferable over the other for specific tasks.

Comment

The 'evolution': Babbage Engines > Automatic Electrical Tabulating Machine (Z1) > Differential Analyzer > Z3 (first program-controlled digital computer) > Colossus (used vacuum tubes and paper tape and could perform a number of Boolean (e.g. true/false, yes/no) logical operations) > Manchester Small-Scale Experimental Machine (first computer to use the Williams Tube, a type of random access memory (RAM) that used a cathode-ray tube) > LEO (Lyons Electronic Office) became the first computer to run a regular routine office job) > UNIVAC (first mass-produced computer) > IBM 350 RAMAC (first disk drive) > Intel 4004 (first microprocessor) > Altair 8800 (first popular computer using a single-chip microprocessor) > Osborne 1 (first 'portable' computer) > Gavilan SC (first PC to be sold as a "laptop") > 'Pocket' PC's (1980's) > PDA's (1990's) > Smart Phones > Netbooks (late 2000's -- Asus Eee PC 700 was the first netbook to enter mass production) > Tablet PC's > ?
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You can't make a phone call on a tablet.

I guess it is good we have choice, and obviously some people like tablets. It amazes me that smartphones are getting so good, however, that one does not need a tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
          Not yet.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Trust me - That Galaxy Note phone makes it look like you're calling with a tablet. It's like holding a book up to your ear - really silly. I guess as long as you use bluetooth you'll only look schizophrenic rather than like something out of a Monty Python skit.

Please Read Me

Comment

oshunlovr:

It's like holding a book up to your ear - really silly.
              That is only because we are perhaps at the beginning of a new trend, and early adopters always stand out.

The previous trend was to make phones smaller and smaller. "My phone is smaller than your phone" was the way to brag. But fads come and go. Skirts went up and down, and now are going back up again. Ties get wide, then narrow, then wide again. Glasses get wide rims, then narrow rims, then wide ones again. You know how it goes.

How big is the cordless phone you use at home? I'm not talking about width. I'm talking about length. Quite honestly, a larger phone fits a person's face a whole lot better than a really tiny phone, like my ancient Siemens dumb phone that almost disappeared in my ear.

Methinks your comments have entirely to do with 'style' and not with function. Style changes.

It is all a question of what one is used to. My money is on larger phones as time goes on because of the advantages of screen size alone.

Frank.

Comment

You can make a phone call on an iPad and I think you can do it on Android devices. I have made calls on my iPad. I use a program called Talkasone. With it, you make calls using wifi or 3G/4G. There is no cost for your phone calls. You must have a Gmail account and you must sent up Google Voice on your computer in order for the Talkasone app to work on your iPad.

Comment

@Frank: We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. The width of the Galaxy note phone does nothing to make it "fit your face" (meaning eye-to-ear I assume). In my opinion, this phone or any other near it's size is mostly unusable as a phone because it's too big to fit comfortably in your pocket or carry in a case. It's almost as large as my wife's Kindle. I doubt this is a "style" that will go too far. Samsung is trying to mash a phone together with a tablet. If you're going to have a device that you can't pocket, you do better to have a cellular enabled tablet and a bluetooth earpiece. More battery, more screen, more usable. I do find it interesting that you find no use for a tablet, but a phone nearly as large as one appeals to you. Different strokes I guess...

p.s.
                  . Skirts went up and down, and now are going back up again.
                  Thank goodness!

Please Read Me

Comment

oshunluvr:

In my opinion, this phone or any other near it's size is mostly unusable as a phone because it's too big to fit comfortably in your pocket or carry in a case.
                    Try this: Take a piece of paper and fold it so that it is 5.75 x 3.25 inches. Now, try to put it in your pocket. I did that before I got this phone. I was surprised that it fit in my shirt pocket just fine. The Note is also quite a bit lighter than the Milestone 3 / Droid 3 / XT-860 it replaces.

You should actually try it before passing judgment on it. That 1280 x 800 screen is gorgeous! You might be surprised.

I do find it interesting that you find no use for a tablet, but a phone nearly as large as one appeals to you.
                    Yeah, I don't like to have more devices than I really need to carry. I had a pager and a PDA, then a cell phone and a PDA, then I got my Palm Treo. Wonderful device. It fit in my pocket, but was so heavy that it pulled my shirt sideways. Then I had the Treo and a standalone GPS. Now I just have the Note.

Different strokes I guess...
                    Exactly. It is nice that the choice is so wide in this area at the moment.

Frank.

Comment

I have actually held a working Galaxy Note phone - I was at CES last year. Pocket issue for me is I carry my phone in my pants pocket - usually front. It was not comfortable at all.

Please Read Me

Comment

If I can, I will always get a belt pouch for a phone. I hate carrying things in my trouser pockets - not even keys or change - but something clipped onto a belt you hardly notice, but is very handy.

I just can't imagine the belt pouch for a tablet ...
                        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

oshunluvr:

Pocket issue for me is I carry my phone in my pants pocket - usually front. It was not comfortable at all.
                          Yeah, that is an issue. I carry mine there sometimes as well. While it is not uncomfortable, my job requires me to estimate work on vehicles on the lots of car dealers. When I have to climb up on a tire to see the roof, it doesn't bend in my pants pocket too well.

Anyway, there is nothing that fits everyone's needs. So I guess we're both happy with what we have. For me, the large screen is king. I've even given up on a hardware keyboard to have that. I'll be looking closely at the quad core 5.5" phone when it comes out next week.

Frank.

Comment

quad core 5.5" phone when it comes out
                            Is that five and a half inches of hot four-core power in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?

Comment

Why do you think I carry it in the front?

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X