X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google adds Google+ Hangout style video-conferencing to Gmail

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2012/0...face-with.html
    Since the introduction of Gmail video chat back in 2008, many of you have told us that you love the direct, personal communication it provides. That's why we're excited to announce that video chat is being upgraded to a more modern video calling technology -- Google+ Hangouts.

Unlike the old video chat, which was based on peer-to-peer technology, Hangouts utilize the power of Google’s network to deliver higher reliability and enhanced quality. You’ll be able to chat with all the same people you did before and, in fact, with Hangouts you’ll now be able to reach them not only when they are using Gmail but also if they are on Google+ in the browser or on their Android or iOS devices.

All Gmail users will benefit from this upgrade, but if you and the person you're chatting with also use Google+, you’ll get even more from the Hangouts experience. You'll be able to video chat with up to nine people at once, watch YouTube videos together, collaborate on Google documents and share your screen. Plus, Hangouts has a bunch of fun effects that you can try out...because any conversation is better when you're wearing a virtual mustache or pirate hat.
    That's it!

I'm done looking for Skype replacements.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I was sold the moment I read 'virtual pirate hat'

Well, I would have been sold, if I had a webcam.

On that note, if anyone can recommend a cheap webcam that works well in Linux, is cheap, ideally available from a UK supplier, and is cheap... let me know!

Did I mention that I want it to be cheap?
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post

On that note, if anyone can recommend a cheap webcam that works well in Linux, is cheap, ideally available from a UK supplier, and is cheap... let me know!

I dont know about in the UK but I got a cheap logitech cam at walmart about 2 years ago for $18.00 US and it worked just fine.

humm this one actually http://www.walmart.com/ip/Web-Cameras/15529173 I see it whint up a dollar

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks Vinny, I managed to find a UK supplier for what appears to be the same model, even though the model number is slightly different.

The model that Walmart stocks is a C160M, while Tesco (a UK supermarket chain) stocks a C160 for £9.97... they look identical, have the same universal clip / stand, and both are 1.3 megapixels with a built-in microphone. I'm guessing that they are in fact the same webcam.

The price is certainly right at under a tenner
        sigpic
        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Yeah, Google Hangouts has got a lot of buzz, but I've been a big fan of RHUB's service because it's easy to use and is much more secure.

Comment

Sweet, I use hangouts quite a bit on Android, my brother has used it on windows and the show desktop feature works well too!
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I detest hangouts. I detest apps on my phone that take over jobs I've assigned to other apps (re:messaging). I detest having to go back into my phone and re-setup apps I've already configured when hangouts updates. I deetst google+ and it's insistence on uploading photos I've taken or the pron I've downloaded, no matter WHAT changes I've made to the sync or google+ settings. I'm really just starting to detest all of google...
              I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
                I deetst google+ and it's insistence on uploading photos I've taken or the pron I've downloaded, no matter WHAT changes I've made to the sync or google+ settings.
                Uh... what? Lol. Didn't know G+ auto uploads, ever?
                samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post

The Logiteck c270 is a lot better, you get what you pay for, have a look on Tesco,

If you are using an up to date Firefox or Chrome there are other options for Video chat and Video-conferencing, that use webrtc.

https://talky.io/

https://apprtc.webrtc.org/

Comment

I've used G+ since it began. One can limit what G+ can access by limiting what they upload to their G drive or what they attach to their emails.
                    I use a local ISP mail service and connect KMail to it. I directed GMail to forward all incoming mail to my ISP email address. When I send information to someone via email I always use my local ISP. To keep it private I encrypted its zip file and send it as an attachment. The recipient has a unique public key.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
                      I detest hangouts. I detest apps on my phone that take over jobs I've assigned to other apps (re:messaging). I detest having to go back into my phone and re-setup apps I've already configured when hangouts updates. I deetst google+ and it's insistence on uploading photos I've taken or the pron I've downloaded, no matter WHAT changes I've made to the sync or google+ settings. I'm really just starting to detest all of google...
                      ouch! you ain't supposed to download the pr0n, lol!
                      I have not had the issues with hangouts grabbing control of sms, nor of G+ reverting my auto-upload settings. But then again, I do not trust that I will be the only person with access to my phone even though I live alone. I do wish one could exclude/limit which places are used for auto upload, like some gallery apps do for general browsing.

Comment

Hangouts on a tablet is only adding functionality.

WhatsApp doesn't allow tablets without SIM cards; hangouts does.
                        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                          http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2012/0...face-with.html

That's it!

I'm done looking for Skype replacements.
                          Now, one "concern" I had with hangouts, or rather, the person at the other end of a video chat did, was that the chat window is too small, the video of, in this case, me, was far too small in comparison to Skype. Have not tried it in a while, though. Tbh, Skype has been oddly solid and reliable most of the time recently.

Comment

Too small...are we taking android or Linux?
                            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                              Too small...are we taking android or Linux?
                              Desktop - Linux my end, Win7 on the other.
                              I bet with the updates to the mobile app, desktop has seen improvements as well. The desktop client at the time looked to be geared more toward multiple users specifically, so one-on-one the video screen was way too small.

I have no gripes using either Skype or hangouts; one would have to actually perform better, more reliably, etc for The Redheaded Aussie Lass to consider changing.

Comment

Working...
                              X