This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC-BSD 9.0 LiveDVD

I saw some post raving about it so I decided to boot the LiveDVD.

I was greeted with an xterm batch process that gave me 7 options. I chose #2, which is with ACPI enabled.

SEVEN minutes later I was presented with a Kubuntu 4.7 desktop. Some have reported waiting 20 minutes for the DE to appear.

Had to enable sound and then make adjustments to KMixer to hear event themes.

The xserver was accelerated.

My realtek 8192CE wireless chip wasn't recognized and no commands in a Konsole would revive it.

I could not find a way to switch to the classic menu structure.

System Settings had only half the options available to it that Kubuntu has.

It was, to me, like dropping back to the earliest Kubuntu release, or MEPIS 3, or Mandrake.

IOW, it is amazing how much better KDE in Kubuntu is than KDE under PC-BSD.

PC-BSD is not Linux, but it is a *nix. One could safely say that PC-BSD is so user unfriendly that only a geek could love it. It will never appeal to anyone else, and not many geeks.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

FreeBSD was the first *nix I ever tried and was on dialup internet so help was less then readily available to me. My experience was undeniably bad though it was the spark of interest that eventually got me going. It took Mepis3.4 to put it all into a package that was friendly enough for a noob dialup user. The BSD reputation for security has always been the attraction of it. But it always seems about 1-2 years behind Linux in terms of package availability and at this point I can't see myself mastering yet another way of doing things. Maybe someday? There are some interesting BSD girls out there I could be persuaded!

Comment

I installed PC-BSD 9.0 32-bit on my Toshiba Satellite P105-S6147 laptop. It's the only OS on it. I'm using Synergy on my HP Pavilion g7 and the Toshiba so I can operate PC-BSD using the keyboard and mouse from my HP (both sit on my table, next to each other). The Intel network card/chip on the Toshiba work just fine -- no tweaking required. Sound works just fine. I actually like PC-BSD, but I won't be switching to it in favor of Kubuntu. Kubuntu is the Linux for me, and I can't see me ever switching away from it.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X