This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeeves and Wooster multi faceted thread

Ok guys....if you are in ANY way into "scintillating" conversation, "British humour", wordplay and just FUNNY ....

Ok, my laboratory assistant, bless her super efficient soul, mentioned the videos which star...

Hugh Laurie ( House fame) playing an absolutely one hundered and eighty different character that is FUNNY FUNNY FUNNY....and has the "accent" down to a "T"....

I mean.....that wonderful young lady...even loaned them to me and I could not stop watching....I had to FORCIBLY stop watching them so as to extend the PLEASURE!!!

And....I just a few days ago, downloaded the Wodehouse books to my Android and OMG!!!! the t.v. series HAS THE WORDS .....exactly.....and..... when READING IT...

I HEAR HUGH LAURIE AND JEEVES!! It is EERIE! but also wonderful.

So here is what I'm going to do for folks who have not seen the shows or read the books...

Here is the page that I searched for at You Tube which has a variety of the videos...

Watch some of them to SEE THE AMAZING TRANSFORMATION of "House" to "Wooster" (actually the J and W series antedates the House series).

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...es+and+wooster

Here is a link to Project Gutenberg Wodehouse books, download the "My Man Jeeves" and read them AFTER you have watched the videos.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8164

Here is a linky to the Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeeves_and_Wooster

And....if anybody wants to do the old woodsmoker a BIG good thing, one "could" buy the set for the old woodsmoker!!

naaah, just kidding, the full set EXPENSIVE! ....but the above was just to emphasize how the two are so inextricably and wonderfully complementary!! really!

Just sayin'...... it is AMAZING how Laurie got the "gestalt" of Wooster so DOWN PAT so that when I, at least, am reading the text I HEAR ....Hugh Laurie and Jeeves!!! lol

folks, again....you really DO need to do this just for YOUR OWN ENJOYMENT and AMAZEMENT!! lol

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Jul 20, 2012, 11:42 PM.

has the "accent" down to a "T"....
    Weeeeeell, that isn't so hard for Hugh Laurie, what with him being an Englishman and all

BTW - if you like Jeeves and Wooster, you will probably also like Blackadder. Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry were often seen in Blackadder, and it has a similar style of humour - very dry, with lots of word play.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Thanks Halation! I did not know about the series! Love it...

"The reason the war started was that it was too much effort to not have one!"

great line!

woodsmoke

Comment

One of my favourite lines from season 4 of Blackadder (Blackadder Goes Forth), is where Blackadder is dictating a telegram to be sent to Charlie Chaplin... Blackadder is definitely not a fan of Chaplin's.

The scene goes like this:

Yes... take down a telegram, Bob. To Mr. Charlie Chaplin, Sennet Studios, Hollywood, California. "Congrats STOP Have found only person in world less funny than you STOP Name Baldrick STOP Signed E. Blackadder STOP".

Oh, and put a P.S.: "please, please, please STOP".
        sigpic
        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

lol

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
          X