Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out Y-PPA Manager: Manage, Sort, and Backup Your Kubuntu OS's PPA List

Found this application that now supports KDE. It's in the get-deb.net repositories. I think it will be shown to be most useful. Such functionality should be integrated with Muon under some 'advanced' tab IMHO. After all, everything that Y-PPA does is aimed at helping one manage their repositories. Although used with Muon's package back-up and restore package abilities should make it very simple for one to gain proactive control of their sources.list file. Just my 2-cents.

http://www.thebluemint.net/2012/07/y...nd-backup.html
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

On that page, the link to getdeb.net is broken, because it leads to get-deb.net. Need to remove that hyphen.

Y-PPA Manager sounds like a great idea, I'm going to install it and have a play.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
      On that page, the link to getdeb.net is broken, because it leads to get-deb.net. Need to remove that hyphen.

Y-PPA Manager sounds like a great idea, I'm going to install it and have a play.
      Link fixed. Thanks!
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Hmm I will be a stick in the mud and say that PPA's should be a little bit difficult to manage , though the ppa-purge addition is nice. Adding and removing ppa's is not hard since one can simply paste the ppa:foo/bar line into your software sources and remove them from there as well.

Comment

True, but it would be nice to be able to see what's available in the PPA's (with an explanation of the idea behind a specific repositoy(ies)) before going in to make it available to Muon (or ant other PM) for software.
          The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski View Post
            True, but it would be nice to be able to see what's available in the PPA's (with an explanation of the idea behind a specific repositoy(ies)) before going in to make it available to Muon (or ant other PM) for software.
            well one can always just go yo the ppa and check it out
            vinny@Vinnys-HP-G62:~/Music$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kubuntu-ppa-ppa-oneiric.list
            # deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu precise main # disabled on upgrade to precise
            # deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu oneiric main
            http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa...amd64/Packages

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

The real 'killer feature' of Y-PPA Manager is the ability to search *all* launchpad PPAs for a particular package, then add that PPA or simply download the .deb file.
              sigpic
              "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
              -- Douglas Adams

Comment

And this is a safe, sane thing do do in what way? just finding random ppa's with random packages is a nightmare for upgrading/updating, and then there is the issue of what happens when ppa-purge fails to completely fix the removal and downgrade to the previous official package? Anyone remember that ubuntu-tweak-like tool from way back that regularly hosed people's installs?? Beuller?
                Last edited by claydoh; Jul 14, 2012, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  And this is a safe, sane thing do do in what way? just finding random ppa's with random packages is a nightmare for upgrading/updating, and then there is the issue of what happens when ppa-purge fails to completely fix the removal and downgrade to the previous official package? Anyone remember that ubuntu-tweak-like tool from way back that regularly hosed people's installs?? Beuller?
                  You sound so cynical...I think the benefits outweigh any potential risks. I don't think anyone would use it to find "random PPA's with random packages"...rather, it's a tool to find the best place to find a particular package you were already looking for. Plus, the purge-and-return-to-former-version of an application is something that most command-line-challenged people (like me) would like to have the ability to do
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I'm quite a risk-averse person, but even I concede that a life completely free from risk would be pretty dull

Also... Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

(I wanted to get in on the Ferris reference party!)
                    sigpic
                    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Not cynical just wary - having my own PPA has shown me what some of the smaller issues can be if I mis-package something

And as I said, something that advanced and potentially harmful should imnsho be just a tiny bit of work to do.
                      And as to the ppa-purge, well not seeing the complete output (if this app does not do so) is not a good thing as that tool does not work 100% of the time, and perhaps more so as more ppa's are added. Just from what I have seen and experienced. This is one of those things that the command line is unfortunately rather essential

Comment

Haven't looked at this app yet but it sounds pretty good in someways. I like to stay back a version which gives a bit of stability ie am on Precise but have as much of the latest greatest installed as I can. Thanks to the work of others backporting kde, kernels ect...

I like the vast availability of programs PPA brings and this could make it more manageable then web-based searching.

On the other hand having been on openSuse for a couple years, where you tend to use a minimal number of repositories. Kubuntu takes almost as long to update sources as it does to install a major package. This scares me a little as Claydough points out reversing changes can become quite challenging.

Comment

Working...
                        X