This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the futeristic design of Gnome 3

Here's a preview of what the Gnome developers are planning for their desktop.

http://worldofgnome.org/the-futurist...ll-gnome-apps/

I loved Gnome 2 and I even liked Gnome 3 (Gnome-shell) when it first came out but after seeing these screenshots I don't think I'll be going back to Gnome.

I found myself strongly agreeing with two of the comments on that article:

And gnome keeps looking more and more like a tablet. All I can say is that I'm glad my desktop runs KDE.
    If I wanted a desktop OS with full-screen applications and hidden functionality that can only be discovered by locating documentation, I’d run DOS.
    Is it just me, or does it seem like the people who are declaring the desktop (and even the laptop) dead, in favour of tablets and smartphones... are somewhat premature? Not to mention suffering from confirmation bias.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

I have a different take on the tablet vs desktop interface. While I doubt the desktop is going to disappear, there is no doubt that tablet and small screen devices are only going to increase. Like it or not, things are moving towards web based platforms. Gnome is not driving this trend, but they are responding to it. From a developer perspective, would I want to keep developing a new interface for an ever shrinking crowd of devices or develop a new, sexy, interface for the current and future crop of devices? Obviously, new and sexy is in and to vary degrees, both Gnome and Unity have accomplished that.

This is a similar argument that Mozilla is using with spinning off Thunderbird. Basically, Gnome, like Mozilla, is wanting to focus on the web and the new devices that are in the pipeline. From a business perspective this makes a lot of sense. From a user perspective, at least a user that needs to use a full desktop device, this sucks.

The good news for Gnome and GTK users that still need a full desktop, there is Xfce, LDE and a host of other options. The good news for the KDE and QT user is that regardless of your need, Plasma has an interface for you. In the long run, the KDE approach seems the best because it use the interface best suited for each case scenario.

Personally, I think the Gnome developers can do whatever they want with Gnome. Of course, if they don't listen to their user base, they will be free to make even more changes as the disgruntled users switch to something else. Ultimately, I think that KDE will be the winner from all of this as many former Gnome/Unity users find Xfce, while good, too limiting and the other options even more so.

Comment

Re; The sidebar debate over devices: I find it interesting that I cannot see any purpose for laptops but I need my desktop. Anything I can do with my laptop is easier and more enjoyable with my tablet. When I need to do some "real" computing, my laptop isn't powerful enough, doesn't have the hardware, and is uncomfortable to use. The touch screen is way more useable than those little PITA touchpads. So, In my world laptops are the dying device, not the desktop.

To the OP: With all the android interfaces out there, Gnome has one heck of a long way to go to compete. Unity will likely fare better in the touch environment because at least it's a fairly original looking and differently-functioning. I can't wait to get my first dual-boot tablet going so I can try out plasma-active along side unity and andriod.

Please Read Me

Comment

I tend to use the term desktop to refer to the interface for both true desktops and laptops. As for tablets replacing laptops, that depends on your use. If you use your laptop to mainly consume content, then yes, a tablet would be a good replacement. If you need to create content, that is a different story. The number one accessory for tablets is an external keyboard. That would seem to indicate that the interface is not ideal for many users. Granted, a tablet can be used with a keyboard for content creation but leave the keyboard behind for true portability. That is definitely true, but when you do need to take both with you, a laptop is much more convenient.

Besides, the real reason tablets won't replace the other forms is that I can eat a bag of chips and use my mouse without any ill effects. Try that with a tablet and you'll have a greasy mess.

Comment

That link crashes the browser on my phone. The page must be really big, filled with comments, not all pleasant?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              That link crashes the browser on my phone. The page must be really big, filled with comments, not all pleasant?
              Lots of screenshots

Comment

Anybody that has to do something productive on a computer probably does it on something other than a phone or tablet. Can you imagine typing a 20 page paper for school on a tablet? That would be hell, even if you had an external keyboard. People who claim that the desktop is dead live in a bubble. Mobile devices are of course being used more and more often, and so it makes sense to make OSs to suit this market, but to do so at the expense of a solid desktop OS is at this point suicide. It is especially stupid to try to make something in between desktop and mobile. Windows 8, Gnome, and Unity are all guilty of this and will suffer immensely in the end for it.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                  Anybody that has to do something productive on a computer probably does it on something other than a phone or tablet.
                  +1.

Its like circle of life.
                  20 years ago only people who had desktops/laptops were the ones who really had some use for it. Then came a time when every tom, dick and harry went to the mall got themselves a computer. Emergence of tablets and smartphones has been the most the most exciting for the occasional and recreational users of computers. I am sure the share of laptops and desktops will start falling down, but then the numbers will find a balance. And thats where operating systems/desktop environments which are usable on both mobile and not so mobile devices will thrive. A desktop/laptop owner will definitely own a smartphone/tablet, while the opposite might not be true. So it imperative for a OS/DE to invest in the possibility of a common framework for all kind of devices, if they want the share of all three parts of the market (mobile, desktop, desktop+mobile). KDE are doing just that (through plasma-desktop/netbook and active), Apple already have done smart thing and developed a separate mobile OS, as far as i know windows has still not completely abandoned the classic dekstop (in win 8) and unity is trying pretty hard (rather miserably, though). Among all this, the attempts of gnome developers to develop a unique 'futuristic design' (at the cost of proper desktop usage) seems less than sane.
                  I mean even if you go along with their thinking, the thing is gnome-shell is not even a light DE on desktop, how exactly is it going to compete with android and such on mobile devices. Among all the fancy concept art i don't see any 'real' plans to actually make it lighter or more responsive to touchscreens.

Comment

There is a button with a highly pregnant name on the top left of the first screeny.

woodsmoke

Comment

I beg to differ...

Don't assume the screenshots in the link posted by the OP refer necessarily to the desktop.
                      And with only fleeting references to Gnome3 (on the desktop), the images in the link show merely a re-designing of base Gnome apps.

Below is the first image from the link with a little GIMP lovin';

See where I'm comin from?

And now that Gnome3's base is supportive of both desktop and tablet/mobile interface's, I *expect* development efforts will center on the latter's design and implementation under the guidance and direction of Red Hat. One would expect Gnome3 on the desk to 'inherit' some of these changes and improvements as a matter of course, but IMO Gnome3 on the desk is nearly a baked product as it stands.

PS: One can always extract the humour from most Gnome dev statements, this one being no different...
                      The good news is that we are constantly listening to feedback and are working really hard to improve what we have. GNOME 3 is getting better with every release. It’s good now. In the future it’s going to become fantastic.
                      How many green ones Allan?

Gnome into OEM’s tablets, around when?

It’d be pure speculation for me to answer that question.
                      Full story...
                      Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
                        I tend to use the term desktop to refer to the interface for both true desktops and laptops. As for tablets replacing laptops, that depends on your use. If you use your laptop to mainly consume content, then yes, a tablet would be a good replacement. If you need to create content, that is a different story. The number one accessory for tablets is an external keyboard. That would seem to indicate that the interface is not ideal for many users. Granted, a tablet can be used with a keyboard for content creation but leave the keyboard behind for true portability. That is definitely true, but when you do need to take both with you, a laptop is much more convenient.

Besides, the real reason tablets won't replace the other forms is that I can eat a bag of chips and use my mouse without any ill effects. Try that with a tablet and you'll have a greasy mess.
                        You did a better job than me in explaining exactly my point. There is no productive work I enjoy doing, am able to do, or am comfortable doing on a laptop, period. To me, they're an annoying convenience like a beer can. They suck to use, but sometimes the only choice. Granted, I can't drag my desktop on the train, but I don't do any real work there anyway. I can't imagine why I would want a keyboard on my tab - a URL is about as long a thing as I type on it. Anyway, just in my world.

BTW: I tend toward those thicker kettle-style chips that tend to be less grease laden than the old Lays style chips. Besides, I generally don't need both hands to "tablet" anyway.

Oh, and I see your point re: DE vs. desktop computer. I made a slight assumption there...

Please Read Me

Comment

The most interesting comment there was the one pleading for UI development to return to the purview of industrial designers rather than artists. Good industrial design that properly accomodates humans is hard, and certainly isn't art. Donald Norman explores this in some detail in his fascinating book The Design of Everyday Things.

Comment

That is one great book SR.

It was assigned reading in an architecture class that I took, in addition to:

Learning to Look

thanks for dredging that up from my memory!

And, surprisingly, the original "handbook" for Powerpoint 2000 by MS was not very long on how to actually "make" a presentation, but was really, an excellent essay in visual design, the lessons of which, have, sadly, been assigned to the dustbin of history and not learned except in a MOST rudimentary way by people who now make/and give presentations.

woodsmoke
                            Last edited by woodsmoke; Jul 11, 2012, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bra|10n View Post

And now that Gnome3's base is supportive of both desktop and tablet/mobile interface's, I *expect* development efforts will center on the latter's design and implementation under the guidance and direction of Red Hat. One would expect Gnome3 on the desk to 'inherit' some of these changes and improvements as a matter of course, but IMO Gnome3 on the desk is nearly a baked product as it stands.
                              The irony in that statement is that Redhat has stated specifically that they are not interested in Desktop Linux. So, I'm not sure how useful their guidance and direction would be.

Comment

Working...
                              X