This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 95, 98 or ME

Hi I know this is proberly totally the wrong forum for this but while browsing around i thought that this was an ok place.

Anyway. I have this old laptop that runs linux badly and have official keys for windows 95, 98 and ME but as all these 3 operating systems came pre-installed in the days that you did not get a backup, i have no longer a way of putting these os's back onto the laptop that i thought Xubuntu would run on. is there a way i can get any of these operating systems free and use my existing key?

Thanks

Re: Windows 95, 98 or ME

short answer is no. MS is propritary software with licenced software in its OS, so even if you could find a retail outlet it would still cost you, mabey not as much as XP, but still....
    I have seen Win98se on the internet for around $65 U.S. for a OEM disc but they are harder and harder to come by.
    If you put Windows on the laptop it will completely wipe out linux as well. If you are not new to linux and are faily comfortable with it you could try some distros like Damm Small Linux.
    Good luck.
    &quot;Time fades even legend&quot;<br />-Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Comment

Linux Starter.....e-mail me at p a u l g v a n d e n b e r g a t g m a i l . c o m (no spaces and with the at sign). I might be able to help you.

Paul

Comment

please do not post your email addresses in forum postings. We do not want to come into conflict with any illegal activities, even if its MS. If you would like to help someone with a problem like this one, use the forums Private message feature to discuss these types of things.
        I know you didnt say anything incriminating, to much but people get the point and not only will you solicit your email address to the public, but you could get yourself introuble. Lets keep the forums clean and leagal, and help eachother in otherways.
        Thank you.
        Good luck with MS Windows by the way.
        &quot;Time fades even legend&quot;<br />-Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Comment

Thanks but i dug out everything i got with each computer and found recovery disks which contained these operating systems so no need for anything thanks.

Comment

If you have all three, then use Win95 unless you have usb stuff that won't run on Win95, most will. If you must, use Win98, avoid WinME. That series of operating systems got worse as a function of time. To my mind WinME was nearly useless.

However, I've found that Linux runs MUCH better on old computers than windoze. You may have to go to a more lightweight distro than Ubuntu to do so, though. I suggest either Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux. I've heard good things about both. Before switching distros, though, I'd try to see WHY the machine was running "badly" and try to fix it. What are the specs of the machine? Processor Speed, RAM, and Disk type and size. Also, defiine "runs Linux badly"?

Comment

Working...
            X