Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evolution now has full support for Exchange Web Services. If I were a decent coder, I'd port that over to something KMail/Kontact/KOrganizer can use. That would be cool, because then I could ditch my Windows VM!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Evolution now has full support for Exchange Web Services. If I were a decent coder, I'd port that over to something KMail/Kontact/KOrganizer can use. That would be cool, because then I could ditch my Windows VM!
      Take a look at Kolab
      Last edited by Guest; Mar 29, 2013, 01:47 AM. Reason: To take out an extra ? in url

Comment

My employer uses Exchange. So I don't need something like Kolab here. Instead, the ideal configuration for me would be a Linux-based client that supports Exchange Web Services. The other day I installed Evolution, and it actually works well. But it's so...well...Gtk-ish, ick.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Too bad it looks like it's GTK instead of QT. I considered donating, but I guess I'll stick to kmail.
          I was on Thunderbird on GTK but now that I got Kmail working I will stick to it. I'm just jealous of the ease of setup that Thunderbird has. Kmail is a bit hard to setup the first time around.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            My employer uses Exchange. So I don't need something like Kolab here. Instead, the ideal configuration for me would be a Linux-based client that supports Exchange Web Services. The other day I installed Evolution, and it actually works well. But it's so...well...Gtk-ish, ick.
            You could try something like davmail (http://davmail.sourceforge.net/), which should let all standard capable clients to connect to Exchange.

I haven't actually used it so I can't really "recommend" it, but if you'd like to experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
              You could try something like davmail (http://davmail.sourceforge.net/), which should let all standard capable clients to connect to Exchange.
              I have. It's a turtle written in Java. After waiting six hours for 7,000 emails and two years of calendar data to download over a 60 mbps Internet connection, I gave up and removed it.

Comment

My employer uses Exchange too, but I just use our server web interface. It sucks, but not as much as Outlook does. I tried Zimbra awhile back (not to be confused with Kimbra ) but it was too slow and cumbersome for me.

Please Read Me

Comment

Last place I worked before retiring used Novell Groupwise. I hated it.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    My employer uses Exchange too, but I just use our server web interface. It sucks, but not as much as Outlook does.
                    If you're using a recent version of Firefox or Chrome, the new Outlook Web App interface almost resembles the full Outlook. If you're using some other browser like Konqueror or Rekonq, it falls back to the "light" version which is unusable for more than a few moments at a time. Certainly can't live in it all day.

Comment

I use chromium at home but rarely check my work email there. I work in a Federal building, so I am hamstrung to XP w/IE...

...blech!

Please Read Me

Comment

Hello all
                        (new to the forum)

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but something I haven't seen in these comments -- this might actually be good news for TB users:

To many of us, the usefulnes of TB is multiplied a thousandfold by the availability of addons. And in the past 2~3 years, TB has been coming up with an upgrade every 15 minutes (you get my drift), so addons could be relied upon for about that long, as every new TB version would break several addons. The ridiculous result for me, was to edit all the install.rdp files for all my addons to set the maxversion to 99, which works, until of course, it doesn't.

Some addons/extensions seem frivolous to some, and are a serious productivity tools to others. I my case, I email in more than one language, so spell-check dictionaries and a reliable dictionary-switcher are essensial; I encrypt/decript to/from a few recipients, so I can't do without EnigMail. Lightning is important to me; so is signature-switching -- again, recipient-based. And then there's clamdrib, an addon that interfaces with clamav to scan your emails/attachments for viruses, and despite not having been updated for years, still works reliably.

The point is, with only security updates and no further upgrade, maybe we can expect some stability without having to re-update themes and extensions as often as we (or at least I) used to have to do. Addon developers might also welcome this (conversely, they might start neglecting their creations, so who knows). Either way, I find no reason to bemoan the passing of TB, as it has not quite "passed" yet.
                        Last edited by r_avital; Aug 05, 2013, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Yes, TB with the extensions I have is doing everything I ask of it. I have been using it for many years, so I know it very well. I depend on it and the Lightning extension and I can certainly live without upgrades.

Comment

TB is an excellent mail client and I used it to get into the college's e-mail until Kontact somehow, in the past few months, is now able to hook into the mail system which is a Microsith exchange thing.

woodsmoke

Comment

Thunderbird - it's alive!

"The news of my death are greatly exaggerated"

the resurection of Thunderbird
                              Last edited by Guest; Sep 14, 2013, 05:29 AM.

Comment

I suppose that is good news. However the current version is working perfectly for me and I would be happy with receiving only maintenance updates. In the past, TB upgrades have broken my extensions and it takes a while for them all to be effective again.

Comment

Working...
                                X