This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping it at random here.

HalationEffect: "the notion of Thunderbird only receiving stability, performance & security updates from this point forward sounds just fine to me."

I fully agree with that statement. Fully. Completely. Unequivocally.

Furthermore ... who the hell needs more "innovation" [in anything]? Innovation for the [marketing] sake of innovation is nuts [except for the marketing dept. where it is survival].

Caution: Posted by a user still fruitfully using 8.04.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
      who the hell needs more "innovation" [in anything]?
      Damn right! If stone knives and bearskins were good enough for us 20,000 years ago, they're still good enough now!

Comment

Steve, I know you get my point (your oblique slam aside). Time in America that marketing step back a bit and we see some genuine innovation at work--the kind that adds some sense of "real" (TM) value (above and beyond consumer-marketing perception; i.e., above and beyond repackaging air). Change for the sake of change is insane, especially in a world facing limited resources vs population. Time to master product utility (usefulness to humans), quality, and timely, affordable distribution.

Trivial ex.: product packaging engineers. They oughta be shot. Why is it now, 2012, that you can't open a package, can't close a package, can't even close a re-closable package (much more than once or twice), "better fitting" packages don't fit [in your cupboards or frig or pocket], ... ?

Don't-chya think so? :-)
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Steve, I know you get my point (your oblique slam aside).
          Indeed I do. Apologies for appearing that it was anything more than just a bit of fun.

Trivial ex.: product packaging engineers. They oughta be shot.
          I am in complete agreement with this example, and it's actually not trivial. Trash service is very expensive here in Seattle, more than anyplace else I've lived. We pay based on weight and volume. Over-engineered (read: too much) packaging costs me real money.

Another example: fly clear across the country and forget your wireless remote clicker for presentations. Go to a local OfficeDeMaxPot and pick up a clicker. Good luck wrestling the thing out of the plastic packaging once you return to your hotel room! Grrr >

Comment

And fun it is! No apologies needed. (I may be a bit sensitive to the issue (and all THE other issues) at 63 as I see 'the America I grew up with' dissolve before my eyes.)

Good examples. If one is attuned to such, you'll see dozens of examples every month, some truly atrocious. In many way, we have gone backwards in term of quality of life in America.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              Damn right! If stone knives and bearskins were good enough for us 20,000 years ago, they're still good enough now!

Stone knives?

Luxury!

My ancestors used tooth and claw and felt very fortunate to do so!

(Apologies to Monty Python...)
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Monty Python's Flying Circus -
                "Four Yorkshiremen"

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:Aye, very passable, that, very passable bit of risotto.
                SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                Nothing like a good glass of Château de Chasselas, eh, Josiah?
                THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                You're right there, Obadiah.
                FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Château de Chasselas, eh?
                FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.
                SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                A cup o' cold tea.
                FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                Without milk or sugar.
                THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                Or tea.
                FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                In a cracked cup, an' all.
                FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                Oh, we never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.
                SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.
                THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.
                FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness, son".
                FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                Aye, 'e was right.
                FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                Aye, 'e was.
                FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.
                SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.
                THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!
                FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.
                FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.
                SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.
                THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.
                FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                Cardboard box?
                THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                Aye.
                FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.
                SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
                THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.
                FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
                FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.
                ALL:
                They won't!

The YouTube 'original' skit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE
                Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 08, 2012, 08:23 PM.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

A trueeeeeeeeeee classic, Snowhog!
                  ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I don't really use email much on my linux box, although I do have kmail set-up; I do try to use QT native apps. I mainly mail on my mac and android

has anyone tried http://trojita.flaska.net/.
                    Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      Stone knives?
                      Reference here: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Meta..._and_bearskins

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      My ancestors used tooth and claw and felt very fortunate to do so!
                      Ah, Star Trek and Monty Python... what else does a geek need, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                        Reference here: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Meta..._and_bearskins

Ah, Star Trek and Monty Python... what else does a geek need, eh?
                        A Vivaldi tablet?

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
                          A Vivaldi tablet?
                          Yeah! I wish those guys would update us all about when they might expect to resume shipments. Lst time I checked, there was no such info.

Comment

I'll stay with it at long as it exists. Even with no new improvements, it is still my favorite email program. TB with the Lightning extension is great for me.

Comment

Reviving an old thread, but this development will be interesting to watch.

New Linux email program under development.

Comment

Too bad it looks like it's GTK instead of QT. I considered donating, but I guess I'll stick to kmail.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                                X