This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Intel HD4000 graphics users?

I was recently kicked in the crotch because of AMD's decision to drop support for my Radeon Mobility HD4570. http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...9377-AMD-sucks I'm in a pickle at the moment. Because of the Intel bug here http://partiallysanedeveloper.blogsp...ux-freeze.html I am forced to use 11.04 with this Dell Studio laptop FOREVER because the ATI driver will never be updated to work with kernel versions that have the Intel Sandy/Ivy Bridge bug fixed. I can not use the open source radeon driver in any version of Linux because of heat issues. This has literally made this $1000 laptop useless with Linux. The past few days I have been looking at new laptops, and was surprised at how much the graphics game has changed. AMD IS OUT for sure because of the crappy support. The only other options are Intel and Nvidia. I wasn't aware of the new Optimus scheme. I can't find a "new" laptop without the Optimus hybrid graphics. The hacks/workarounds for it don't look appealing. This leaves me with Intel. The newer Intel HD4000 reviews have been pretty good as far as integrated graphics go. It would also be nice to have 3D work out of the box without installing drivers and making suspend work. My biggest concern is that the HD4000 will be "just enough", but leave me wanting a little more compared to AMD/Nvidia equivalents. I don't do a lot of heavy gaming. Minecraft and sauebraten/cube would be the most demanding. If you are running the Intel HD4000 graphics, what are your thoughts?
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

I have a HP G62 with a core-i3 M370 @2.40GHz and Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller ........I think that would make it a sandy bridg HD2000-3000 but not sure......... the BIOS has a date of 4/7/2011
    it works just fine but I don’t do any gaming ......kwin 3D works just fine and so dose suspend !!
    it has a HDMI out and it will push a desktop on a 50+ inch HDTV ; that’s the biggest I’ve tryed it on .
    if you want to know more just ask

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I don't think you'll have any issues with gaming performance with HD4000 graphics on the games you've mentioned. I'm running the lowest spec version of Intel HD graphics, and I'm getting 75 FPS in Red Eclipse @ 1440x900 with all detail settings at defaults... and I'm sure it could do better than that, but due to some issues I'm having with the graphics stack, if I go to my screen's native res of 1680x1050 I get a black screen. Same thing happens if I disable vsync.
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

I found several youtube videos demoing the HD4000 playing nice games with lower settings. I think it will be fine for what I need. I even found a battlefield 3 video using my current radeon hd4570 that got the same FPS as the Intel HD4000. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juymoqvlYm4
        Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Working...
        X