This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fedora 16 with KDE

Just installed Fedora 16 with KDE over the weekend and have just managed to upgrade it today. After installing all the extra multimedia codecs to allow me to watch my DVD collection I must say I am quite impressed with Fedora. One thing I do miss is the software centre because I used to use that for searching / finding particular software packages that I didn't know the name of.

As mentioned earlier, I installed Fedora 16 last weekend and it came with KDE 4.7.2. Today I updated it and discovered it had upgraded KDE to 4.8.4 (the latest stable version). That never happened with Kubuntu. The only way to do it with Kubuntu is to install from a ppa.

You watch, something will annoy me about Fedora and I'll return to Kubuntu. haha!

Hmmm. I never had to add an external PPA to get KDE4.8.4, but that is what I am running right now on Kubuntu...

Fedora's nice and all, but to me Kubuntu is friendlier for regular home users, having the Ubuntu spine, if you know what I mean.
    PUNCH IT CHEWIE!

Comment

Then Kubuntu was faster. 4.8.4 I got yesterday with no additional PPA.

Comment

Yes, but getting 4.8.4 on Fedora 16, is as if you got 4.8.4 on Oneiric, or as if you'll get 4.9.4 on Precise without Kubuntu PPA's.
        I love Kubuntu, but this is (for me) it's main disadvantage - you only get KDE release in the time of Kubuntu release +1, and only to .1 or .2.
        Fedora 16 was released with KDE 4.7.2, and now they get 4.8.4. Opensuse 14 was released with KDE 4.6, and pre-4.9 packages are still built for it.
        Here, you need to upgrade your whole system to upgrade to newer KDE.
        Last edited by sumski; Jul 04, 2012, 09:32 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

That's strange, I installed Kubuntu 12.04 and my KDE has been constantly upgrading, as well as the kernel, it's now 4.8.4 and my kernel is 3.2.0-26.

I avoid Fedora, I don't know what it's like now (been years since I tried it last), because it's 'bleeding edge', it's more prone to bugs, AND, because it's the FREE testing ground for it's corporate parent, Red Hat.
          Last edited by tek_heretik; Jul 04, 2012, 07:35 PM. Reason: added more opinion

Comment

I tried to install Fedora 17 during last weekend. Fully disaster.
            Broadcom wifi took me to make work about 2 hours.
            VMware Player did not work at all.

GOLD Kubuntu.

Comment

Fedora's a pretty nice distro once you install rpmfussion, kubuntu still has more software available- with GetDeb, PlayDeb, and PPA's; the ATI drivers keep more in-sync with the *buntu kernel. Not that it matters for me anymore, as they dropped support for my 4890.

As for my lappy, System76 support kubuntu more than fedora...
              Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                That's strange, I installed Kubuntu 12.04 and my KDE has been constantly upgrading, as well as the kernel, it's now 4.8.4 and my kernel is 3.2.0-26.

I avoid Fedora, I don't know what it's like now (been years since I tried it last), because it's 'bleeding edge', it's more prone to bugs, AND, because it's the FREE testing ground for it's corporate parent, Red Hat.
                Kubuntu 12.04 comes with KDE 4.8 by default. Try to upgrade to KDE 4.8 using Kubuntu 11.10 or earlier without a ppa. As for Linux kernal, I have version 3.4 installed.

Comment

Originally posted by nickstonefan View Post
                  Kubuntu 12.04 comes with KDE 4.8 by default. Try to upgrade to KDE 4.8 using Kubuntu 11.10 or earlier without a ppa. As for Linux kernal, I have version 3.4 installed.
                  I see what you are saying but I am happy with this 5 year LTS, I have been dabbling and distro hopping for years, after a while, you get sick of being a bleeding edge tester. The only reason I would have to re-install is if I messed up this installation so bad, I am forced to, so far so good though. I instantly back everything up on separate hard drive AND USB stick, so installing/re-installing is not an issue for me, it's just too much work getting all the settings, etc, back to 'normal'.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                    I see what you are saying but I am happy with this 5 year LTS, I have been dabbling and distro hopping for years, after a while, you get sick of being a bleeding edge tester. The only reason I would have to re-install is if I messed up this installation so bad, I am forced to, so far so good though. I instantly back everything up on separate hard drive AND USB stick, so installing/re-installing is not an issue for me, it's just too much work getting all the settings, etc, back to 'normal'.
                    Actually I really like the *buntu's. When I came back to Linux at the back end of 2009 I installed Ubuntu 9.10 and upgraded a few times since then. There are three things that I love about Canonical supported distros'.
                    1. Regular upgrades (every 6 months)
                    2. Good period of support (18 months for normal version; up to 5 years for LTS)
                    3. Its vast collection of packages in its repositories

What is turning me away from Canonical supported distros' is their "control" over each version. e.g. I had 10.04 on my laptop for about 2 years and could not get any upgrades to packages without either upgrading the whole distro or adding a ppa, and as for Unity/Gnome-shell not allowing the end user to customise the interface.

Comment

To be fair, Kubuntu is no longer a "Canonical supported" distro. But I get your meaning.
                      PUNCH IT CHEWIE!

Comment

Working...
                      X