This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC-BSD (FreeBSD)

I have two laptops. My 'main' is the HP Pavilion g7, an i3, 64-bit. My other, older laptop, is a Satellite P105-S6147, Intel Pentium dual-core, 32-bit.

Today I wiped the Toshiba and installed PC-BSD 9.0 on it. It's up an running with KDE 4.7.3. I'm going to play with it, see how quickly I get comfortable with it, with an eye towards 'maybe' recommending it to my father.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

I was impressed how stable PC-BSD was. I'm sure it has improved since I last installed it.
    Boot Info Script

Comment

Had an initial issue with sound -- I didn't have any! -- but 'Google to the rescue', and I got that solved. I don't have any acceleration or 3-D Desktop Effects, as PC-BSD 9.0 doesn't (yet) support DRI and such for the Intel Integrated GPU. But it is being worked on. I can easily live without the effects however.

Dragon Player, the default video player, wouldn't properly open an inserted DVD disc. It was offered in the Notifier, and Dragon Player launched, but it wouldn't properly load the DVD. Installed Kaffeine from AppCafe and all is good. Sound and ability to play DVDs.

Comment

how was the insaller/instalation..........I'v been interested in BSD for a wile but only have the one laptop at the moment ......would it be hard to put it in my testing partition and would my curent Grub recognize and boot it ?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I've read a few reviews of PC-BSD and the consensus appears to be that it's a couple years behind Linux with respect to hardware support. None of the reviews described any clear advantages to using PC-BSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            I don't have any acceleration or 3-D Desktop Effects, as PC-BSD 9.0 doesn't (yet) support DRI and such for the Intel Integrated GPU.
            Got this resolved (partially) as well. OpenGL isn't supported (with my Intel GPU at least), but XRender is. Switching the compositing type to XRender gives me 'some' of the desktop effects, but way less than OpenGL would provide. But it gives me some, and translucency is one, which I use for Konsole.

As to any clear advantages to using PC-BSD (or FreeBSD), I can't speak to that. Like I said, I'm going to play with it for awhile. I'm not even thinking of moving away from Kubuntu, but my father is looking for an alternative to *buntu that will 'just work' and not mess with his other OS's, and has compatibility with OS/2 (eComStation) JFS. A tall order, I know, and one he is painfully realizing.

Comment

Yes, I remember your father's challenging setup. Stability would, I imagine, be the most important feature for him!

Comment

Working...
              X