This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xubuntu, come and talk bad about it.

I really like the direction Xubuntu is going in. This last version was really good imho and i realized im spending more and more time in it. someone please come and talk bad about so i stay in kubuntu forever.

Originally posted by erigais View Post
    I really like the direction Xubuntu is going in. This last version was really good imho and i realized im spending more and more time in it. someone please come and talk bad about so i stay in kubuntu forever.
    Xubuntu sucks!

Seriously though, we hope you stay in Kubuntu-land

What do you like better about Xubuntu? Just curious.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
      Xubuntu sucks!

Seriously though, we hope you stay in Kubuntu-land

What do you like better about Xubuntu? Just curious.
      well i'll always stay in kubuntu land, i dont think i own one single computer or laptop
      without a kubuntu partition on it but....

i am a visual artist, both digital and phsyical(i drew my forum post picture to give you an idea. here is a link
      for a closer look http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/a...uriundone2.jpg)
      one thing i really like to specialize in is near photo-realism(or attempting to make as near as my ability lets me).
      and to do this kind of work digitally i need to use paint programs like photoshop/gimp/krita.

i noticed in xubuntu i have a bit more resources and things like gimp run smoother and give me less problems.
      usually the whole xfce interface and the tiny menus really turned me off from using it tho. well the newer version
      is really nice, i dunno if i can quite explain its just a bit more user friendly than the previous versions of xubuntu
      and things are running without a hitch.

the extra system resources are nice too. I dont have any issues with kubuntu in particular, i can run paint
      programs there too just some times when im starting to tax my ram my brush does not go as smooth(yes, it
      sounds crazy but some points when your starting to tax your ram your brush can actually stutter and give you
      a choppy line when you are zoomed in pretty far)

i know im being kinda vague on things, im a little bit less technical than most linux users. hopefully, in the
      future i can put together a better response with specifics.
      Last edited by erigais; Jul 03, 2012, 09:07 AM. Reason: writing errors

Comment

More RAM? I dunno, I quite like Xubuntu. I stuck it on the missus' laptop to replace Gnome Lucid 10.04, and it's pretty good, especially on her lower spec. But for me on my own desktop KDE has no equal. I have 3Gb RAM though, and can imagine if you only have say 1Gb, then yes it could probably get sticky.
        PUNCH IT CHEWIE!

Comment

Might just be me but I've come to love icewm which susie installs from the live cd as an alternative DE. Its not as much fun as kde ect... but it is gentle on memory and graphic resources. Makes XFCE seem like bloatware. But XFCE is righteous in its own right. Should kde become unusable to me I'd use it and have!

Comment

I've also used Xubuntu and can thorougly recommend it for someone who doesn't have a powerful pc. XFCE is a very powerful and useful DE whilst being able to run on low resources.

Comment

I use Kubuntu on my desktop which has 4 cores and 8G ram. But, My old and slow laptop has an old Pentium and only 768 Meg ram, can't run KDE or gnome . This rig has 2 OS partitions one Lubuntu and one Ubuntu Studio. They both work well but I seem to prefer LXDE but still like XFCE.

Ken.
              Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Xubuntu is not a bad DE, especially if your PC is old or under powered, or you are very agile with the CLI.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I prefer KDE too, but there's no denying that XFCE & LXDE are less demanding
                  Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by lcorken View Post
                    I use Kubuntu on my desktop which has 4 cores and 8G ram. But, My old and slow laptop has an old Pentium and only 768 Meg ram, can't run KDE or gnome . This rig has 2 OS partitions one Lubuntu and one Ubuntu Studio. They both work well but I seem to prefer LXDE but still like XFCE.

Ken.
                    This...

Comment

Well, I won't "talk bad" about Xubuntu, but because I do a lot of "routine application" stuff, I have found, after experimenting with all of the various window managers, that a more "feature rich" enviornment works better for me.

As an example I really appreciated the elegance of #!, before it went Debian, and learned a lot about the innards of the file system, some small amount of cli stuff, etc. I loved the conky thing and playing with it, but when it came to "routine application" stuff, where I have to do a lot of routine work, and moving between applications over and over again, etc. ..... it worked "ok" but was just not "comfortable"...

So....Xubuntu is ok, I even like AfterStep and NextStep, especially Fragadelic's implementation of it, but.... again....useability for me in particular.

And the opposite extreme is Enlightenment, I tried all of the various implementations of it, and it is excessively feature rich, for me, particularly.

So, when it comes down to it, for me, for doing large amounts of routine work wherein I have to move data back and forth between multiple applications, both on the computer and on the web, I find that a well rounded Gnome 2 type OS that has unfailing support for the Compiz cube, mainly, or Kubuntu work the best.

Just my particular needs and probably not that of others.

woodsmoke

Comment

A lot of people keep commenting on how Xubuntu is good for older machines and low resource machines. That may have been true in the past, but that is no longer the focus of Xfce development. Besides, it is a misleading metric as what really matters on older hardware and low resource machines is not how much ram the window manager is using, but how much the applications are using. Opening LibreOffice or Firefox will have a much bigger impact than whether one is running Xubuntu, Lubuntu or Kubuntu.

Xubuntu/Xfce is very good, I was a developer for another distro that was based on Xfce. However, Xubuntu should only be used if its style of interface is to your liking, same thing for Kubuntu, Lubuntu or Ubuntu Unity/Gnome-shell. Personally, I think that all of the effort trying to fork Gnome 2 or make a Gnome 3 shell that looks like Gnome 2 would be better served by applying that effort to improving Xfce. But that's just my opinion.

As for trashing Xubuntu, why? Xubuntu is a good system. One of the advantages of the various *buntus is that you can pick one with the gui that fits your needs but still have all of the advantages of the Ubuntu ecosystem.

Comment

If I hadn't already invested so much time in learning KDE, I'd probably be an XFCE user. I still dabble with it occasionally, just to be different. But that's it -- changing my underlying distro at this point would seem like unnecessary and unfun work. I'm too deeply ingrained in the "*buntu way" now.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            If I hadn't already invested so much time in learning KDE, I'd probably be an XFCE user. I still dabble with it occasionally, just to be different. But that's it -- changing my underlying distro at this point would seem like unnecessary and unfun work. I'm too deeply ingrained in the "*buntu way" now.
                            When I first started using Linux KDE had a different name, wasn't well known, and Gnome didn't exist. There were 21 xserver clients and I experimented with them all. Compare to Win95 they were ALL weak, very weak. Twm and Twm95 (IIRC) were what I used from May, 1998 to Sept 1998. Then, KDE 1.0 Beta came out with SuSE 5.3. Not only did it match Win95's power, it exceeded it! I tried Gnome when it first came out ... for about 15 minutes. I felt handcuffed and immediately returned to KDE.

From my POV, the ONLY improvement that could be made to KDE is if it were to be replaced entirely by an AI interface that was indistinguishable from a IT expert. Then, updates, cleanup, etc... would be AI's job, along with fulfilling my requests. Sadly, I doubt that I will live long enough to see or use it.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
                              A lot of people keep commenting on how Xubuntu is good for older machines and low resource machines. That may have been true in the past, but that is no longer the focus of Xfce development. Besides, it is a misleading metric as what really matters on older hardware and low resource machines is not how much ram the window manager is using, but how much the applications are using. Opening LibreOffice or Firefox will have a much bigger impact than whether one is running Xubuntu, Lubuntu or Kubuntu.

Xubuntu/Xfce is very good, I was a developer for another distro that was based on Xfce. However, Xubuntu should only be used if its style of interface is to your liking, same thing for Kubuntu, Lubuntu or Ubuntu Unity/Gnome-shell. Personally, I think that all of the effort trying to fork Gnome 2 or make a Gnome 3 shell that looks like Gnome 2 would be better served by applying that effort to improving Xfce. But that's just my opinion.

As for trashing Xubuntu, why? Xubuntu is a good system. One of the advantages of the various *buntus is that you can pick one with the gui that fits your needs but still have all of the advantages of the Ubuntu ecosystem.
                              the machine i use the most is not that old by any means, its a laptop with an i5 with 4 gigs of ram. while xubuntu may be good for older machines i aboslutely love it on my newer ones. as for trashing xubuntu, not sure if you read the first post but i am looking for reasons to boot up into kubuntu over xubuntu at this point BECAUSE i am liking it so much, which is why i want to know what others prefer about kubuntu over xubuntu as this is the ditribution showdown section. i have seen some pretty good responses so far and i hope that no one thinks i am here to bash kubuntu or xubuntu. i am not.

kubuntu will always have that special place with me as a few years back i loaded it on 3 different machines two of them laptops, and all 3 ran perfectly with fresh kubuntu installs after updating via an ethernet cable(im sure lots of you remember how much of a head ache laptop hardware was in any distro including windows and in some cases still is). it seemed like a real life miracle when every time i put it on a system and there were NO hangups, and then it did it again, and again* while other distros were not finding my hardware and involving lots of google searches. they were just fustrating and didnt seem as user friendly/inuitive including ubuntu, xubuntu, windows and many other operating systems at that time. For that i will always maintain and update a kubuntu partition on any machine i use.

* I know that this is not the case with everyone and i saw many a forum post from fustrated users, lucky for me tho that i had better luck

Comment

Working...
                              X