This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who invented the lawn?

also, How deep does a pan need to be before it's a pot?
    Registered Linux User 545823

Grass invented the lawn.

2.34934043543 inches

Can woodchucks actually chuck wood?

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
      But what wood do wood chucking woodchucks prefer to chuck?
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My guess is pine. Hardwoods would be a bit too much for the little guys I think.

I wonder if minimum wage laws apply to woodchucks....

Comment

I wonder if minimum wage laws apply to woodchucks....
          I hear that Democrats say 'yes', and Republicans say 'no'.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hmmm....this is going to be a key election then. Im thinking that if woodchucks can chuck wood, they can also do other things. Like mine for coal and assemble cars. I may have just solved American's economic problems!

Comment

Who invented the lawn?

Those who make sell mowers. Oh, and they are republicans.
              Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                But what wood do wood chucking woodchucks prefer to chuck?
                Of more pressing concern: how many moose might a mini mouse move if a mini mouse might move moose?

Comment

13. We did that one in science class back in middle school.

Comment

It is possible that "the lawn" really came into it's own, as opposed to royal, or municipal "formal garden/lawns" somewhere about the time of the development of Badminton by the British Army officers returning from India. But due to the vagaries of wind the Duke of Beaufort built the "Badminton House" and play was moved indoors. The enthusiasm involved in taking up Croquet quite possibly was involved in the development of the "lawn" for people other than the haute' rich.

As to the chucking of wood by woodchucks, I have made an intimate study of this, since, when I was but a small child, I happened to be walking along side the road of field and was suddenly grasped by the collar of my, later to be soiled, shirt and thrown bodily through the air by a chuck to another one. After three or four coursings through the air, one of them missed catching me, I rolled down an embankment and into the creek where I floated along hanging onto a log that was in a group being sent downriver to thence be shipped up the ol' Mighty Mississip for the rebuilding of Chicago post the great fire.

After I told my story about what happened while quaffing a bottle of root beer(of rather questionable antecedents).....the townsfolk then took to calling the chucks "woodchucks" in honour of this very humble author.

As to the number of items that can be chucked, the chucks have, sadly, not availed me of said information.

As to the depth of a skillet as opposed to a pot. A skillit should be sufficiently deep that when bounced off the head of a husband which is in disapprobation that it produces a nice ringing noise as opposed to a thunk.

As to the depth of a pot, one would need to ask Johnny Appleseed.

woodstillhasnightmaresofflyingthroughtheairsmoke

Comment

Hey you! Get off my lawn!

(Somebody had to say it...)

Comment

It would seem at times that Stubborn Man invented the lawn ... even where it shouldn't be, like on the desert Southwest (and other dry regions of the world). Even when it's hot as h*, even when there is no humidity, even where efforts are made to conserve water, even when great amounts of money must be spent on resources and planting and maintenance, MAN will, by god, grow green grass! And trim it and mow it and water it and fertilize it and ...

Rather than go with the natural flow and let the natural desert landscape indicate an appropriate "yard," "landscape," and "lawn" (redefined). Rocks, cactus, dry dirt-sand ... makes an excellent landscape with zero maintenance (to speak of), dotted with a few container plants.

My point: In hot, dry climate, do you know how dumb people look when out madly watering and manicuring their "lawns" to keep them alive, green, growing, and "pretty"! And on the weekends, they gas-up their cars to drive to the deserts to admire the rocks, cactus, and scenic dry dirt-sand badlands of the painted desert.
                        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I am guessing a surf with waist high grass decided to get out his scythe one day and did a little weed whacking, stood back with a homemade ale whilst starting the fire pit for some outdoor cooking, oh, wait, that might have been the first suburban BBQ, lol. ;-D

Comment

Working...
                          X