X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Microsoft own Qt?

http://www.informationweek.com/byte/...ones/240002510

I speculated on June 19 that Microsoft will buy Nokia, which has a relatively small market cap of just under $10 billion at this moment. Microsoft paid $6 billion for Aquantive, an online ad firm, and $8.5 billion for Skype. So spending $10 billion to $12 billion on Nokia would not be out of line. Here's what tipped me off at Wednesday's Windows Phone Developer Conference:
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

And Elop then returns to the Borg.

Hmm, now there's an amusing business strategy. Identify a company you want to acquire but is too expensive. Send out one of your own execs -- preferably one not too smart -- to maneuver into that company's CEO slot. Wait for him to make enough mistakes to purge most of the company's value. Then go for the kill. Not only do you obtain your acquisition target at a fire-sale price, you get your bumbling exec back. Rinse and repeat.
    Last edited by SteveRiley; Jun 21, 2012, 05:42 PM.

Comment

:eek:

Duh! I should have recognized that Elop play as a ploy! (The side benefit is that they get to own the tool that represents their greatest threat to MSVS!).
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Microsoft may be devious/crafty/..., but they aren't stupid (generally).
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Microsoft can't do anything if Qt has gone open governance.

Comment

Working...
          X