X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larry Ellison buys himself a chunk of Hawaii

Hawaii Gov.: Oracle's Ellison to buy most of Lanai

I would really like to know what's going through the minds of Lanai's 3200 residents right now. Fear, I suspect.

Updates:
    Lawmaker: Ellison plans no major upset on Lanai
    Purchasing Hawaiian isle fits with mogul's persona
    Last edited by SteveRiley; Jun 23, 2012, 12:10 AM.

Amazing history for that island. It has about 6 square miles of forest next to the city, one luxury airport and one luxury resort along the shore. The rest is abandon pineapple farms filled with scrub brush and small trees.

It was first bought by Walter M Gibbson, who was a con man.
    James Dole bought the island and turned over 31 of the 146 square miles into a pineapple plantation in 1922.
    In 1985, David H. Murdock took over the nearly bankrupt Hawaiian firm Castle & Cooke, which owned the Dole Food Company.
    In 2012 Murdock, his net worth shrinking to a mere $3 Billion, sold his interest in Lanai to Ellison, who now has an airport of his own where he can park his jet fighters, avoid the TSA searches, and live at the sea side resort.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 21, 2012, 02:14 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

linky presently no worky,

Supposedly.....somebody was going to buy up some/many of the abandoned plantations, turn them into sugar cane and make alcohol to be used as fuel so that the islands would not have to import fuel on tankers. dunno, I read it someplace.

woodsmoke

Comment

Links fixed, and updates added.

Comment

Working...
        X